FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: flyfishing for pike?  (Read 4818 times)

acsacmboy

flyfishing for pike?
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:43 PM »
iam going to but some streamers and other flys for pike to use. what do you guys recomend for a tippet for pike around 18-30 inches long? and any other information will be appreciated. thanks
Randy Mason
FLCC 09' Fisheries Technology major

tommyboy

Re: flyfishing for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:33 PM »
Scientific Anglers makes a special leader just for pike and musky.  If you think that is too heavy (some do), though, I would think that you can probably get away with a bonefish leader, as they are supposed to be very abrasion resistant.
Be ready for a fight if you go.  It's amazing how differently a fly rod transfers that side-to-side motion of pike than a regular rod.  I have had the best luck using the flies with the longest rabbit hair strips that you can find, and they seem to like just about any color!
Good luck!
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

livin4ice

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:57 PM »
There are steel leaders made specificaly for fly fishing.  I have looked at some of these (haven't tried one yet) and they look to be easy enough to use.  I am trying to get a trip together for as soon as the ice is off and the water warms a bit at Houghton Lake to try for some pike. I plan on trying them there.  I think with the size of flies you will be using they will work well.  You may also look for some articulated flies.  I have made some using maribu.  They look huge in your fly box but once they are wet they look very realistic.  Good luck

P.S.  Tommyboy is correct.  When you hook one....hold on,  wooohoooo ;D 

Trevor

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:47 AM »
acsacmboy,  I've been doing the pike thing for a while and have tried various types of leaders.  When I first started out I tried a tapered leader by Climax with a wire tippet made specially for pike and musky.  you had to buy crimps and use pliers with cutters to attached and detach flies.  After a couple years I finally dummied up.  I just went out and bought a bulk spool of 40lb test mono.  I now hand tie my leaders.  Real simple, real cheap.  From the butt I simply tie an 18" section of 25lb, an 18" section of 20lb, and then a 36" section of the 40lb test mono as the tippet.  I attach the 25lb and 20lb together using a blood knot and attach the 40lb test tippet to the 20lb using an albright knot.  A six foot leader is lots.  Some guys only use a four footer.  I've never known pike to be leader shy.  Plus the short leader will make the big flies much easier to cast.   Also, proper turnover and finesse really aren't an issue.   It also makes it easier and faster to change flies as the 40lb mono takes a knot very well, and I've never seen a pike break or shear through it.  Even when it's frayed 1/3 through.   Also, you can tie a lifetime of leaders from the one spool.  I attach my flies using a Homer Rhode knot.  This knot leaves a loop through the hookeye as to allow the fly to hinge on the mono thus not allowing the thick mono to manipulate the fly's action.

As far as patterns.  I tie all of mine on 4/0 saltwater hooks.  Most are about ten inches in length.   I prefer gaudy colors and materials that provide lots of undulation in the water.  You guys can check out my patterns on my website by clicking on the link below then scroll to the bottom of the page for Pike Flies...

http://members.tripod.com/hard_h2o/id2.htm

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 11:29 AM »
Trevor I just checked out your site - nice ! I was really impressed with the flies - you definitely have talent .  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..       

livin4ice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:40 PM »
Very nice site and patterns.  I just put it in my favorites.

flynuts2004

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Trevor - Thanks, I also placed this into my favorites. Please note I have been fly fishing for a number of years and everytime I come this site I LEARN SOMETHING NEW... OUT-STANDING!!!!!!

Trevor

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I hope the information will help people.  It's been a goal of mine for many years to write a book, tough to find time with three kids and work, etc.... Guess I'll have to settle for a website for now..lol

When I first built my site I intended to make an online business of selling flies.  Soon after I discovered E-bay and found it was easier just to sell flies on there.   It wasn't long before I decided it wasn't feasible to sell my flies as people didn't want to pay enough to make it worth my time.  Besides, I enjoy tying flies but not when it's a job.

Think I sort of got sick of commercial tying when I was a kid.  My dad had a fly tying business on the side.  Part of my chores was to tie bucktail bugs for about an hour each evening to help with the business(Cheap labor..lol).   Man did I get sick of tying those things...

Thing is I've always dreamed of getting into the outfitting business, you know, make my living helping people catch fish.  When I first started the site I think I sort of viewed this as a means of getting my foot in the door.

After using E-bay I still had the issue of this site I had created.  I decided I would make a hobby of it and  write about fishing when I felt like doing so.  At least now I had a way to talk about my passion without causing my wife to get that glazed over look in her eyes as I rambled about the life cycle of a backswimmer nymph.

I ran into some computer trouble a few months back and was forced to re-format my drive.  I didn't have back-ups and I lost all the files for my site.  It's there on the net.  I just don't have access to it's files, hence I cannot update it.  I am dying to add more info.  I feel like I was only beginning to scrape the suface when I lost my files.  :'(

Oh well, I'll figure it out, the info's there.  I'll start over if I have to.

Heck, now that I've found this forum, perhaps I don't need a site anymore.. ;D

Trevor

Cider

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:35 AM »
Trevor - I was on your site yesterday and really appreciated it.  You had a lot of useful information there that even experienced FF can gain from.  Based upon your site and posts here I can see that you have really mastered the art and science of fly fishing!

Not sure how you would feel about it, but maybe you could post some of your writings here on your own thread?  Or links to new stuff as you add it to your own site?

Trevor

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:08 PM »
That's a very flattering compliment Cider but I don't think anyone could ever master the art of flyfishing,  regardless of experience.  I am constantly learning.  It seems the more I learn the more I realize how little I really know...lol. 

I would gladly notify anyone who is interested of updates to my site, once I figure out how to regain access to my files.  I may rebuild the site and publish it to a different URL. 

Thanks for your interest...

Trevor

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:19 AM »
What is the site URL?
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

Trevor

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:24 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.