FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flyrod brookie.... released  (Read 10739 times)

Goatskin

Re: Flyrod brookie.... released
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Absolutely a splake- that what makes it so beautiful and so awesome!! Look at that head and those pec fins! So Lake trout-like. That has to be one of the prettiest and rarest fish ever- congrats on a great catch!!!!!!
You can't judge a fish by its head and its pectoral fins. Just trust what the man says when he's the one who caught it and saw it up close. :) Easiest way to tell is the tail. Brookies have a flat tail, while splake have a V cut tail and lake trout have a very deep V cut tail. That trout has a flat tail the only reason it looks slightly forked is because of the way he's holding it.

countyboy

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 06:49 AM »
Who cares either way its a beauty.

fishfins

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Actually, fisheries biologists DO use heads and pectoral fins...and tails...to help identify fish. . It is what it is, and it is not a brook trout. If anyone is annoyed by the correct identification of the fish, feel free to cling to your own opinion instead.  I assume the fisherman who caught it will appreciate knowing the kind of fish he released. Here is another splake and, as expected, the similarities to the original fish are obvious.

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 11:33 PM »
I guess you cannot tell if it is either without a closer look at the fins, vermiculation and halos but I would say it looks a lot like a brookie, I have seen many of both species. But hating aside its a gorgous fish and I you should be very proud, congratulations!!

Splake have many creamy white spots on their sides with a few red spots mostly located on the lower sides of the fish.  They do not have the distinct blue halos around the red dots that brook trout prominently exhibit. Splake also have forked tails.  Eastern brook trout have creamy white spots along with many red spots with very distinguishable blue halos.  Brook trout also have square caudal fins (tails). (Main Dept. of Inland Fisheries)

The Reel Deal

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 11:49 PM »
This is a record brookie caught in Alberta, Canada. It looks pretty similar, so just keep this in mind. But its reely hard to tell from the picture i'm still not sure. I would just like to know.

gonehuntin97

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 12:20 AM »
I also can catch largemouth bass on a flyrod...hehe. If it means anything splake...brookie....whatever..didnt plan on starting an argument. thanks guys.

fishfins

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 07:24 AM »
I also can catch largemouth bass on a flyrod...hehe. If it means anything splake...brookie....whatever..didnt plan on starting an argument. thanks guys.

Glad to see you've got a good sense of humor. There really is no arguement about the correct ID of the fish. You're welcome.  ;)

fishon1

• lets go fishing
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 08:39 AM »
wow that is very nice fish i  wish they would get like that out here

Goatskin

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Actually, fisheries biologists DO use heads and pectoral fins...and tails...to help identify fish. . It is what it is, and it is not a brook trout. If anyone is annoyed by the correct identification of the fish, feel free to cling to your own opinion instead.  I assume the fisherman who caught it will appreciate knowing the kind of fish he released. Here is another splake and, as expected, the similarities to the original fish are obvious.

Im not annoyed and I really am sorry if that bothered you. I was honestly not trying to start anything. I believe what he caught was a brookie because he said it was and it looks like a brookie to me. No hurt feelings here. I just spent the weekend fishing the ponds around the Northern Adirondacks and Saranac Lake. We caught quite a few brookies and a couple of nice splake as well so if you want I can post a few pictures of the differences in the fish we caught. Its just a forum on the internet. We're here to share stories not arguments.

fishbone

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 03:05 PM »
from this picture nobody can tell if its a brookie or a splake--i think it sure could be a brookie--the only way to tell for sure is to kill the fish and examine it--you need to count the wormlike appendages in the fishes guts--anybody that sounds so sure to discredit an angler from a photo and sound so sure about it is retarted and really doesnt know what he is talking about --good for you for letting the fish go if that is what you wanted to do --so now for ever this fish will be a controversy--and i doubt they stocked splake near there or in a stream but i dont live near there--great fish

The Reel Deal

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Yea I agree with you guys! Im just sooo curious now. I love this kind of stuff, thats why i'm studying freshwater biology at UNH. But if anyone can find out let me knooo! Haha sorry if anyone was offended. Good fishing everyone!

wannabe

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 02:20 PM »
I hope you guys are joking- ofcourse it's a splake. The best part is- that's what makes it an awesome trophy! CONGRATS gonehuntin!! And hey- is that bass really that big, or did you hold it close to the camera- lol!

backwoodswalker

« Reply #27 on: Jun 04, 2012, 03:08 PM »
I agree it sure looks like a brookie.  It also looks like a splake. I cannot say for 100% sure which it is. But I can say one thing for sure it is a beauty. Congrats on releasing it. I don't believe I have ever caught a brookie that big, But I have cuaght 2 splake like that. They are stocked quite abit around here.   Steve

rakerdave

« Reply #28 on: Jun 09, 2012, 12:48 PM »
Definetly a brookie . Splakes look more like lakers . Splakes don't really stay in rivers or streams  they like lakes . Does the stream conect to any lakes that have splakes or lakers ?

Ahab

« Reply #29 on: Jun 16, 2012, 05:08 PM »
If you go to google images and type in brooke trout then lake trout you can easily decide which it is not that it matters that extremely much. thats one heck of a fish and even cooler it was caught on a fly. congrats

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.