FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Walleye in a large shallow lake  (Read 1398 times)

taxid

Walleye in a large shallow lake
« on: Aug 02, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Going to be on an almost 6000 acre Northern Michigan lake (7 miles long by 1.5 miles wide) that doesn't stratify with several large islands that has a average depth of less than 15 feet and a maximum depth of 25. Very little weeds except for protected bays.

This will be for a week starting in the middle of September. I'm not an experienced walleye angler but was thinking large crank baits at night is a good option? Also drifting with harnesses and maybe some trolling? There's also a decent yellow perch population and smallmouth of large size population. (I'm actually more interested in the yellow perch for eating and don't usually have trouble finding them and catching them.)

Any ideas and suggestions?

I picked this lake as it's close to friends from college and a garage band I used to be in.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meandcuznalfy

Re: Walleye in a large shallow lake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2021, 04:52 PM »
Tossing jigs works really well for eyeys and perch, trolling crank baiats works well too.

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2021, 09:56 AM »
Yah That's my style casting small swimbaits and twister tails.  They'll be on the feedbag then I would think.

For perch can't go wrong drifting a worm on a hook.

appleye

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2021, 10:15 AM »
I would troll cranks around until I located fish then slow down and cast or pull spinners and slow death until you find what your looking for. Find the main prey base from the DNR and try and duplicate. Any structure will be key areas, rocks, weeds, wood? Might watch a few videos on how to find fish faster with electronics.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2021, 10:31 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Thanks Tim. A little icing on the cake is the lake although not known for bluegills has at least one that made Michgan's minimum weight for a citation.

Link to lake map. You can increase the size by using the plus mark on the bottom. I will be staying in a cottage on the Northwest side between Applegate Island and Three Sisters Island.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/PRESQUE_ISLE/GRAND_LAKE.PDF

Here's a somewhat dated report on a survey of the lake by the MDNR:

https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/PUBLICATIONS/PDFS/ifr/ifrlibra/Special/Reports/sr54/SR54.pdf

Along with my regular boat I'll bring my Hobie paddle less kayak which I found dynamite for stealthy night casting in Maine. As you remember I was catching smallmouth and largemouth at night with a jitterbug casting from my kayak.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2021, 03:53 AM »
Some salmon and steelhead end up in the lake in the fall from Huron but wouldn't survive the summer. Does not stratify so the water temp probably gets into the 70's from top to bottom in the summer.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2021, 05:44 PM »
lots of things on that map you posted.  almost too much info as in places id try.  i think the spot light deal the first night would be the ticket(if clear). with the fish houses and brush piles all over its a lot to cover. even those springs could hold fish in summer, if big enough!

i like cedar and brown island areas.  there are some sharp breaks around there and some feeding flats.  the big island has some sharper breaks too.  most of it looks gradual with lots of sand from google earth view. maps says weeds but didnt see any from space. north end of lake has enough spots to keep you busy a couple days. im betting night time will be the rite time there.  dont get run over in that yak though.

Thanks Tim!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.