FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electric Fishing Reel  (Read 2397 times)

stripernut

Electric Fishing Reel
« on: Aug 19, 2021, 06:14 AM »
As some of you know my father and I often fish together, but at his very spry 75, his hands (and other parts) are not what they use to be... To keep him going we got a; Shimano PLEMIO 3000 Big Game for $335.00 and gave it a try and I have to say it worked well. I set it up with a Rigid 4 amp battery (with a $15 step-down transformer) that worked great. This is for deep drops (100' plus) that killed his hands reeling in, especially without a fish on.  We look forward to playing with it more and I plan to use it for sending deep water fish back to the bottom when I release them, which should speed the process right up.

lowaccord66

Re: Electric Fishing Reel
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Never thought of using one for that purpose.  Great idea Allan!  Way to keep your dad in the game.  Let me know if I can help get you both out.  Ive done to 90 mile round trips no issues.  Prepping for a black canyon run once my HMS permit comes in.  Weve estimated range at 275 st 34mph!

deerhunter

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2021, 08:50 AM »
can it be used for saltwater bottom fishing. I have one that I mounted on a penn real . its bulky and noisy and you need a battery pack to run it. I use it 200ft plus

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2021, 09:01 AM »
How have you been Bill?  Itd be cool to get out on the salt with you too!

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Nice job! We should all be so lucky as to have someone helping us get out fishing if/when we get to be that age!

I am curious how you would use it to release a fish in bottom? Some sort of clip you could dislodge with a tug?

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2021, 02:23 PM »
The one I have picked up is called the Shelton SFD Fish Descender $15

With a dedicated rod and the Electric reel, it will not take much time to release a fish...

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2021, 02:30 PM »
Never thought of using one for that purpose.  Great idea Allan!  Way to keep your dad in the game.  Let me know if I can help get you both out.  Ive done to 90 mile round trips no issues.  Prepping for a black canyon run once my HMS permit comes in.  Weve estimated range at 275 st 34mph!

Look forward to taking you up on that offer!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2021, 03:25 PM »
I see guys use them on the haddock headboat trips I go on over the winter. they are nice especially for someone with difficultys reeling a lot of line. when the prices come down more I may look into adding one to the arsenal.

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2021, 03:57 PM »
At $335 and some a little cheaper I dought they will get much lower...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2021, 05:22 PM »
At $335 and some a little cheaper I dought they will get much lower...
when I was pricing them they were still around a grand. I'll have to look into them now

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:44 AM »
Look forward to taking you up on that offer!

The only things I need is an eprib and also like to have my HMS permit sometime toon. 

Was off of montauk yesterday am and there were tuna in CLOSE!  I didnt hook up.  Tried to make it to the wind farm but my gut said no in the middle of block island sound so I turned and hit the point.

stripernut

« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2021, 06:54 AM »
I always like chasing Bluefin out of Rockport, we often see "sign" in less than 5 miles...

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2021, 09:20 AM »
There was so much bait at the point yesterday and then boom signular giant surface attacks.  Must have been decent size judging by how white the water was after hitting the bait.

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2021, 11:25 AM »
My casting gear should be good to 250 lbs, maybe 300lbs...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2021, 07:42 PM »
picking up a van staal jigging/popping rod next week just in case any fish come around my neck of the woods like they did the last 2 years. already got the hms permit a few weeks ago. hopping the vs250 holds up with 80lb braid. line capacity is the biggest worry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.