FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striped bass gear question  (Read 1259 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Striped bass gear question
« on: Aug 19, 2021, 02:22 PM »
Asking on the MA board because there seems to be more saltwater focused folks here on a regular basis.

I'm new to fishing the salt, been a few years I've been at it, mostly focused on ground fishing but my buddy is trying to get me to speed on stripers. He tells me that for live lining mackerel it's imperative to have a reel with a rear drag. Ok, so I go on a search since I really don't prefer to buy fishing gear online, I just want to buy at a real shop. After about a half dozen of my favorite shops and I have not found one, single reel for sale with a rear drag. I finally get to Kittery Trading Post and the only spinning setup with a rear drag they have is a very expensive Shimano. I'm kinda not looking to go that way.. I want a nice reel but I'm not spending $400 on one.

So my question is.. are these reels impossible to find because they are in such high demand, or because no one buys them? Is this really something essential for fishing live bait on the ocean?

stripernut

Re: Striped bass gear question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2021, 02:28 PM »
There are other reels out there, but BassPro has Baitrunners for under $200, so Cabelas most likely has them... I will lend you a couple if you want to try them out...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2021, 03:20 PM »
The style of reel you are looking for is called a baitrunner. it's not imperative to have a bait runner while fishing live mackerel. I 3 way my mackerel on a tight line and still hook up. if a big bass wants it it's swallowing it In one gulp. you can find penn, okuma, and shimano baitrunners

PikeKing23

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2021, 04:18 PM »
Many off brand names used for carp fishing too. I have 3 yoshikawa c6000. I think they were $40 ea. Probably too small for stripers in the salt, but the company makes bigger too. Just look around and find one in the price point you are looking for. They are out there.

Youngblood

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Okuma Avenger ABF Spinning Reel will get the job done just fine. They are inexpensive but work well. They are not as smooth as the Shimano but for the money you can't go wrong.

Jethro

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2021, 07:42 AM »
There are other reels out there, but BassPro has Baitrunners for under $200, so Cabelas most likely has them... I will lend you a couple if you want to try them out...

BPS in Hooksett is pathetic right now. It's like they are going out of business. Maybe I need to drive down to MA to get one. I appreciate the offer of the lending but it freaks me out to use others gear!

The style of reel you are looking for is called a baitrunner. it's not imperative to have a bait runner while fishing live mackerel. I 3 way my mackerel on a tight line and still hook up. if a big bass wants it it's swallowing it In one gulp. you can find penn, okuma, and shimano baitrunners

It seems Shimano calls them Baitrunners, Penn calls it a Liveliner and Okuma calls them Baitfeeders... Since I didn't have one, the way my buddy was having me fish live macks was with my boat pole I bought with a level wind reel and just having the clicker engaged. It seemed excessive to me but I've never fished for these stripers before. So you use a 3 way swivel with a little weight and just tight line? I'm going to try that.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #6 on: Aug 20, 2021, 09:14 AM »
where I fish it's heavy current so I use around 3oz and that's why I 3 way them. I can imagine you can use a smaller weight on a 3 way rig and it should work. you could also use a rubber core sinker or a small egg sinker above your leader to get the mackerel down. sometimes no weight is required either. all depends on conditions. I tightline because of how fast and deep I drift its hard to feed out line with a 3 way rig and heavy weight pulling on the fish. you miss a few this way so if you can get away with using a rubbercore and opening the bail when you feel a fish take the bait that will be a better method

Jethro

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2021, 10:48 AM »
where I fish it's heavy current so I use around 3oz and that's why I 3 way them. I can imagine you can use a smaller weight on a 3 way rig and it should work. you could also use a rubber core sinker or a small egg sinker above your leader to get the mackerel down. sometimes no weight is required either. all depends on conditions. I tightline because of how fast and deep I drift its hard to feed out line with a 3 way rig and heavy weight pulling on the fish. you miss a few this way so if you can get away with using a rubbercore and opening the bail when you feel a fish take the bait that will be a better method

Is the idea of the rubbercore sinker so it doesn't drop as fast? I got a lot of weights all from 1 oz. to 6 oz. but I'm not sure I've seen the rubbercore.

I'm usually fishing in some heavy current as well, so that should work well for me too. Thanks for your help!

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2021, 09:18 PM »
Eels, slide sinker, southwest ledge...50's.  Also zero need for a baitrunner and if you use one with circle hooks you will absolutely kill bass.   One of the bass over 50 I caught Sunday was on a 6000 saragosa.  Great reel. 

Jethro you gotta learn about pulling wire and umbrella rigs or bucktails.  Also trolling tube and worm seems your speed as well.

Knot there yet

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2021, 10:28 AM »
Lever drags have replaced most bait runners these days. The circle hook mandate renders them mostly useless.
When fishing circle hooks you what the the drag set (tight)at fighting strength so the rod and rod holder set the hook.
Even tube and worm fishing drag should be tight to ensure hook in corner of the mouth.
I got (2)Shimano 6500 for my surf poles but don’t use that feature anymore cause of circle hooks. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Use them Knot there when targeting blues.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.