FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NW and W Housatonic  (Read 630 times)

bogtrotter

NW and W Housatonic
« on: Sep 04, 2021, 07:08 PM »
To change things up a bit from my usual routine, I fished in Pittsfield from 11 AM to 4 PM today.

The weather was sunny and pleasant (67 to 75), although the streams were still high and fast after all the rain we had earlier in the week.

I started on the NW Housatonic along Waconah Street, where I caught a half dozen dink (4" to 6") perch and saw (but could not entice) a couple of the resident carp above the dam.

Then I fished below the dam and landed a medley of different species - - one 7" perch, four 8" - 9" rock bass, three 10" to 11" large mouths, one 10" bullhead and one 11" sucker

Next, I drove over to West Housatonic Street to fish the W Housatonic.

After parking on the corner of Hungerford Street, I walked to the bridge just upstream of the Iron Man machine  shop,  where I beached two 12" browns.

Heading downstream, I passed up the small waterfall behind Iron Man (since the water looked too high there) and tried just above and just below the bridge at the corner of Hungerford and West Housatonic Streets, where I landed a couple small (8") dace.

Walking about 1/4 mile east along West Housatonic Street, I fished the curve where the stream bends back toward the street, and reeled in two tiny (3") sunfish and a couple more small dace.

Returning to my car, I drove to the Greendale Avenue bridge and waded from there to where the streams curves back toward West Housatonic Street. 

Along the way, I landed a few more, slightly larger (9" to 11") dace.

From this point on, the mosquitoes gradually grew increasingly worse.

After walking back to my car again, I drove down Caldwell Avenue and parked by the Barker Road bridge, and caught a few more dace at various spots between there and the Clapp Park trestle (where the last two that I reeled in were 12" long).

By this point, the swarms of mosquitoes were so bad that I started to look like a lost safari member in the jungle, trying to swat away the bugs as I stumbled along (through the undergrowth and even in the stream itself), so I called it a day.   

lowaccord66

Re: NW and W Housatonic
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Good trip Jim!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.