FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PERCH  (Read 1314 times)

abishop

PERCH
« on: Mar 02, 2024, 10:29 PM »
I am shocked that no one has mentioned the fantastic bite going on now with pics galore. Heard there was a flotilla on the flats about 200 strong. Seen some pics with a bunch of 14's and 15's. Guess it is hush hush. Wish I had more trust in my 16.5 boat. I know 4-5 miles out with south winds 10 to 15 could mean 3-4 footers. I love perch but I am not that mad at them where I need to get revenge. Stay safe for those who get out. P.S. please share some pics so the rest of us can dream and drool.

fishinator

Re: PERCH
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2024, 06:53 AM »
I'm with you AL. I would love to get out there but just don't have enough boat for that lake. I saw a report that perch were up in the harbor at MC. I can't verify it though.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2024, 01:14 PM »
Looking at the extended forecast, and the only day in the next 2 weeks to get out on the big lake might be tomorrow. So, got the boat ready and going in the morning. Hope the winds stay as predicted cause it is a long way to travel. Anyone else heading out???? Hope to see a flotilla by the time I get there. I have had to turn around more than once by the time I got to the lake. Need to put some gold in the boat.

staubsaugen

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2024, 05:41 PM »
I'll be out chasing coho near shore. Probably out of New Buffalo

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2024, 04:19 AM »
Leaving here in a bit. Hope to have a report when I return for everyone. Would be nice to score and meet others when I get to the hot spot. Wish me luck. LOL

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2024, 04:32 PM »
Couldn’t make the trip to the big lake today but me and my brother got on wawasee for a few hours and caught pretty much every fish specie except small mouth..Ened the short day with 8 very nice perch

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2024, 08:42 PM »
What a beautiful day to be on the lake. I have never seen this lake this calm. Not even a ripple. If you weren't trolling and was trying to drift you wouldn't move. For the first 3 hours we never had a bite. Fished from 52 to 59 fow.  There were 56 boats in our area. During the first 3 hours only seen 1 fish caught. Moved about a mile or so and started to see rods bending. First fish was my personal best. It measured 14 7/8. Just shy of that 15. We pulled a few more with a total of 7. Not what I was hoping for, but it wasn't the skunk. 5 were loaded with eggs. Magic depth was 57 feet. The winds started to howl, waves started to build and with about a 10-mile trip back to the ramp we decided to leave. Seen a few boats that did better than we did. If we didn't have that 3-hour lull, we would have put together a limit or so. 4 fish were over 13. Had a good time. Boat ran well. bought another new battery. Was on the lake for about 5 1/2 hours. Might not get back out there for another couple weeks due to the winds. Would like to give it another shot before they leave the clay flats. First time out this year. Good luck if you get out.

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2024, 11:03 AM »
Good on ya Al. Didn't get a bunch but did all right. Glad you got out!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

abishop

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2024, 02:41 PM »
Couldn't get out today. What a beautiful day. Little winds. Did anyone find the gold???

LundProv

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2024, 08:25 PM »
It was a very good day to be alive and perch fishing on Lake Michigan.  I hit bible study at 6:30 AM at Liberty... very inspirational group of men discussing the Word... This AM, it was Acts chapter 2 when Peter revealed his boldness and transformation after the resurrection of Jesus.  I trailered my boat to the study this morning as the church is closer to the big lake than my house.  I launched about 9 AM and was fishing by 9:30 AM.  Just a note for those who have not seen it yet, the Portage boat launch has had a price increase.  Yes, the boat launch that was built with your and my tax dollars ENTIRELY is now charging $15 to launch a boat.  I have lived here my whole life and remember when this launch was first opened for free for us to use.  Then it was $10 for ever and the honor system and a cash system at that.  Now, we all know the volatility of a cash operated city government entity... But I digress... We could not possibly follow an electronic gait based system like they have in South Haven, Michigan that insures the fee being paid and the fee being accounted for electronically.  Oh, if you are not a Portage resident, they will sell you an annual boat launch permit for $200.  I used to get upset with this as there are NINE free launches by the DNR on the Ohio River but I am not sure there are any DNR sponsored boat launches on Lake Michigan.  Also, if you purchase a boat ramp pass at the state parks, those passes are only good at the state parks.  There could never be any government harmony or reciprocity that would allow the outdoorsman the opportunity to use a state park pass at a launch on Lake Michigan.  Such a rip...  OK...back to fishing...
I headed out of Portage to the top secret location, 6 miles or so northwest of the ditch and joined the other 60 boats hovered over the perch in 50+ feet of water.  The lake was not flat but very manageable and it was pure joy out there.  Find the fish on the Garmin... spot lock... snap jig blade baits and 15 perch later, it is time to head home.  I don't know if it is the largest perch I have caught but I had one that was in excess of 15".  If I knew how to post pics, I would do it.  The ride back was uneventful and I brought gear to fish for coho but lost interest.  Personally, I would prefer to eat perch over coho and decided to be grateful for the perch and head home.  Once home, a couple of Boy Scouts from the troop in LaPorte came over to fish the back yard.  The panfish were not interested in what we were presenting and we only caught a few gills. So, Happy Easter to all and I am going to have a little ham to go with my perch on Easter...
So, yes, the perch fishing was very good.  I saw a lot of boats pulling perch.  I have no idea how long into the spring this bite will last but it is good for now.     

abishop

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2024, 10:05 AM »
Thanks for your report. Looking ahead the next 10 days I believe the winds will be a bit too rough for me to consider another trip. Were the females still full of eggs? Hope to try 1 more time before they have spawned out. BIG FISH 4 SURE. Have a blessed Happy Easter 2 all. Ham on my menu as well.

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2024, 04:59 AM »
Fishing the big lake in the morning. what bait shop is open around 6:30 coming from east. Launching burns harbor. Perch fishing followed by trolling for coho. Thanks

TimW

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2024, 07:34 AM »
Slez's is the only 1 I know of. He's on 51st 0r Ripley a couple blocks north of the expressway on the west side. A bit out of your way but he'll have what you need.

bigr

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2024, 08:50 AM »
Is the samual l maletta public ramp the one most use and is it open say around 7:00 to 8am. Still a pay ramp?

abishop

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2024, 09:42 AM »
I think it is always open. You just put fee in box. Attendant might not come till later. No problem, launch, anyway, anytime. GOOD LUCK. This is the Portage marina. Think it is 15 dollars.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.