MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Trolling

trolling question?

(1/5) > >>

mark mercer:
ok, ive trolled before with very little luck this way but i was wondering if possibly there is a way to do this and have it work. is there a good way to troll without downriggers or planner boards? like just throwing your line out 50 feet behind the boat with a rattle trap or stick bait and trolling slowly? if you guys have any suggestions for trolling in this method let me know because this weekend i will be in boat without either and i was wondering if troling was worth it. thanx alot

FLAG:
What are you trolling for???? I have good luck with a Rapala behind my conoe with a trolling motor for smallmouths.

Cider:
Sure, you can troll flat lines and long lines without the aid of downriggers or planer boards.  The only disadvantage you will have is getting deep enough if the fish have gone deep.  You can add keel sinkers to your terminal tackle to help get a little depth.  Dipsy divers will also give you all kinds of depth without having a tremendous amount of line out behind you.

You will have to take wider turns this way so that all your lines follow you without hanging up.  Make sure that you use a good swivel or bead chain so that your main line doesn't get twisted up on you.  I would also reccommend using a level wind reel rather than a spinning reel for trolling.  You could use a spinning reel but it pretty much makes it useless for casting after that because your line will twist something fierce!

If you have to use a spinning reel, at the end of the day or more frequently, take off all your terminal tackle and just troll the plain mono behind you.  That will help eliminate any line twist.

Remeber to keep your trolling speed nice and slow.  Somewhere between drift and 1.5 mph!

Good luck and tight lines!

Barleydog:
It may help if you list what and where your fishing Mark??
Lead core line is an option that seems like a lost tool in most fishermen's arsenal.  It's colored every ten ft. for depth control.
Another option is dipsy's.  They come in several differnent sizes including some that are very small for small diameter line/pole combos.

mark mercer:
well basically ive trolled with no luck just goin for basically anything but ill be goin for walleye/ pickeral dont know if that helps but it might

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version