FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boats Repairs  (Read 1519 times)

vermillion1405

Boats Repairs
« on: Mar 20, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Taking my boat in for a tune-up and other misc work. Who do you guys recommend near Porter County?

red3213

Re: Boats Repairs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I just dropped my boat off at Fay's in Laporte. They came HIGHLY recommended to me.

I also wanted someone that could lake test the repairs I was having done. I am having the carbs rebuilt and wanted to be sure that they were completed and tuned correctly before I traveled for hours out to a lake. Since they are right across the street from Pine, it sounded like a great match.

Hope you get more than just one answer here...

best of luck.

1lurker

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2011, 05:49 AM »
I live in Valparaiso also and take my boats to Terpstras in Highland. Great service and I've never bought a boat from them. Talk to tiny he'll treat you right!

slipbobber

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:11 PM »
I live in Valparaiso also and take my boats to Terpstras in Highland. Great service and I've never bought a boat from them. Talk to tiny he'll treat you right!
  Make sure you tell Terpstras exactly what you want done and get it in writing They screwed me once before and changed my water pump when I told the man at the counter not to. All I wanted fixed was the leak in the lower unit on my old 10 H.P. Had changed the pump before I had taken it in.Wasn't Tiny's fault but  Terpstras kid can forget about seeing me there again.

1lurker

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2011, 05:44 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that slipbobber! My 3 motors are all from the 80's and they have done a great job of breathing life back into them at a reasonable price.

Ray Colburn1

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Terpstras is a rip off any one goes there better dig deep in your pockets they charge for work that wasn't wasn't done and Faye's was OK when my buddy worked there. I bought my lund from huber's in Laporte and have them do my work but got to get in early or they are backed up this time of year. TNT Marine in Hobart on Rt6 just east of I65 is good place and doesn't rape you on the work

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Terpstras screwed me before and sold me a motor that wasn't what I needed. I think they just wanted to get the used motor off their rack in showcase. My fault but they directed me in the wrong direction. When I wanted to return it for a NEW MOTOR they would not do it. Go figure. I would recomend Erwins Marine very nice people and have always treated me like one of the family. Just my 2 cents, hope this helps. They are just west of downtown Valparaiso.

vermillion1405

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys, sound like I should flip a coin between Terpstra and Fayes and be prepared to bend over and grab my ankles when I pick up my boat anywhere I take.

I have a 80's OMC, I need the carp rebuilt and have everything adjusted correctly(idle, fuel etc air mixture) . My boat is at Just Add Water in Hobart and they told me they are not comfortable working on older boats, they are not familiar working with OMC parts and would have to special order them, and since I don't have a service manual they can't gaurantee they will order the right parts unless I give them the part number and they would be guessing on the adjustments.

Already tried Erwins, they won't work on OMC's

wallin

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Erwins in Valpo has been great to me also, bought my Smoker Craft there.
Wallin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.