FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Minnow traps  (Read 27646 times)

mike692

Re: Minnow traps
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Cider,

Seining is my number one method of collecting bait in the summer. If it's cool or I don't want to get wet I wear hip waders, if it's hot, I wear shorts and old tennis shoes.

As far as technique, I know alot of guys will stretch the seine across the creek and have another guy wade towards them kicking over rocks and stirring up mud in the process. Personally I like to take the seine to the fish and use the method I described above. I have caught all kinds of cool stuff in a seine. Snapping turtles, muskrats, snakes, trout where there wasn't supposed to be trout, and just about every other critter that lives in the water.
Not only is it a great way to save some money on bait, its alot of fun.

fastribs85

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:59 PM »
reelcharacter
 never used it but made a couple after seeing it on roland martins show one day and his we packed with minners
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Cider

« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:16 AM »
Thanks Mike - as soon as all this friggin' ice is gone I am going to run down to Wally World and get a net and give it a try.  Makes me think back to days of my youth out messing around on a summer afternoon.  Should be a lot of fun!!

mike692

« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:41 PM »
Makes me think back to days of my youth out messing around on a summer afternoon.  Should be a lot of fun!!

Cider,

That's exactly why I love it so much. I used to spend hours along small runs and gutters fishing for chubs, and looking for coon sign. Some of the chubs were released and some were kept for pike bait. I used light action rods, a small hook, and a piece of nightcrawler. I just may have to do that again this summer. I guess as you get older you decide you don't have time for things like that.

Fishingking

« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2004, 04:30 PM »
ives used traps before ussually with a hotdog roll in it (seems to last a bit longer than bread)  if you buy a trap dont buy the ones that are coated in plastic they dont work worth a darn, ive also used umbrela nets which work good if your aboe a pool  or if you going for emerald shiners in the spring off a dock or break wall  i have also seined minnows with a seine up to 50 ft this is alot of fun but can get you bitched at even thoough its perfectly legal to use a seine up to 50ft on certain bodies of water wiot ha bait permit    but still somepeople dont like it oh well

theres times when all ill use is live bait and times when all i use is artifical depends on where and what im fishing for
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

wyogator

« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2004, 10:01 AM »
I like the plastic coated ones better.

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2004, 10:36 AM »
I have both plastic coated and galvanized traps. The only difference that I have noticed is that the algae doesn't seem to stick to the plastic traps, but they both catch minnows.
FTD

chrisfrank

« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:28 AM »
a word about the soda bottle minnow trap -  i've made them before and they work fine, but they tend to build up a lot of sludge and are messier to work with then the store bought ones. 

Polar

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12, 2004, 09:44 PM »
I use stale bread and put the trap in the middle of the hole.I always look for the bait before I place the trap.If you don't see any minnows your wasting  your time.

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #24 on: Apr 12, 2004, 11:19 PM »
a word about the soda bottle minnow trap -  i've made them before and they work fine, but they tend to build up a lot of sludge and are messier to work with then the store bought ones. 

That's why you have an automatic Dishwasher (just make sure to use it to "clean" your traps when your wife is out getting her hair done).  :)

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2005, 06:27 PM »
what should i use for bait for dace ive been using dry dog food adn caught two plus one crawdad but i want more of both, last summer i was catching the dace on worms of my fishing rod,should i put some worms in the trap?
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2005, 06:48 PM »
what should i use for bait for dace ive been using dry dog food adn caught two plus one crawdad but i want more of both, last summer i was catching the dace on worms of my fishing rod,should i put some worms in the trap?

Shrub,
I wouldn't use worms, keep with the dog food, or try bread or crackers. I think you just gotta wait a little bit as water conditions improve, or maybe put them in better places if it keeps up. Don't get discouraged, you're doing good, just keep it up, success will come.

shrub

« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2005, 07:50 PM »
i just went up to the wal * mart and got some wiskers salmon and chiken dinner catfood so im gonna try that, there saying hevey wind/rain for the weekend so i pulled the traps this afftroon and ill put them back in moday after school
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2005, 08:17 PM »
Try the catfood tell me how it works. My dad runs a dog boarding kennel, I'm never short on dog food! 8)

shrub

« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2005, 08:23 PM »
will do,hopefully itll be when im showing you all picture of my sate record large mouth :D :D  hey it could happen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.