FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jet ski battery issue  (Read 1576 times)

oneida1

jet ski battery issue
« on: Jul 11, 2022, 07:41 PM »
So im no mechanic  my neighbor had her jet ski just die while riding and after no juice to it what so ever, after a quick look found that the positive terminal on the battery was completed melted , no damage to anything else including the positive cable when i unhooked the battery the negative connection was not very tight so im assuming that the positive came loose started arching and melted the terminal,,, or is there something else i should look for,,,, ran fine up to this point

taxid

Re: jet ski battery issue
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2022, 10:08 PM »
Be careful.

We had a doctor in our area try and charge a PWC battery while the PWC was in the water with jumper cables. He was electrocuted.

I guess knowledge in medicine doesn't mean you know anything about electricity dangers around water.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinjohn

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2022, 04:33 AM »
I would guess that your diagnosis is correct onieda1..
However..it's odd the the cable connection did not melt

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2022, 05:36 AM »
A loose connection will defiantly cause a battery terminal to melt. It's a common problem in the golf cart world. If the battery has molded in studs, over tightening them can be as bad as running it loose.

fishinator

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2022, 05:37 AM »
Be careful.

We had a doctor in our area try and charge a PWC battery while the PWC was in the water with jumper cables. He was electrocuted.

I guess knowledge in medicine doesn't mean you know anything about electricity dangers around water.
With jumper cables? Not possible. 12 VDC doesn't shock you that way. Now maybe if he was using an 110VAC charger

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2022, 11:56 AM »
With jumper cables? Not possible. 12 VDC doesn't shock you that way. Now maybe if he was using an 110VAC charger

I don't know the details but do know he was electrocuted. It's been at least 20 years ago.

Honest didn't make it up!  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

mcully

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2022, 12:25 PM »
Well I do know they can explode as I had that happen to me one day when my car, 77 Monte Carlo, wouldn't turn over I popped the hood jiggled a loose terminal and POW like a gun going off in my face. I recall it was a hot day and I had been on the road a while and had stopped for gas. I walked into the station with my eyes closed, stripped clothes, flushed eyes had the gritty feel of acid on my teeth and a chunk of plastic sticking out of my forehead. Lucky I guess.
I think my brother shat himself but got a new battery in hosed things down and on our way. 

fishinator

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2022, 02:35 PM »
Well I do know they can explode as I had that happen to me one day when my car, 77 Monte Carlo, wouldn't turn over I popped the hood jiggled a loose terminal and POW like a gun going off in my face. I recall it was a hot day and I had been on the road a while and had stopped for gas. I walked into the station with my eyes closed, stripped clothes, flushed eyes had the gritty feel of acid on my teeth and a chunk of plastic sticking out of my forehead. Lucky I guess.
I think my brother shat himself but got a new battery in hosed things down and on our way.
as batteries are being charged they produce hydrogen gas. That's why you should always turn your charger off before disconnecting.  That's also why you remove jumper cables from the "live" vehicle first.

mcully

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2022, 04:47 AM »
as batteries are being charged they produce hydrogen gas. That's why you should always turn your charger off before disconnecting.  That's also why you remove jumper cables from the "live" vehicle first.
Wasn't on a charger just driving from Syracuse to Vermont.

fishinator

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2022, 05:54 AM »
Wasn't on a charger just driving from Syracuse to Vermont.
sorry, I didn't mean that your battery exploded because you were using a charger.  But your vehicles alternator provides a charge to your vehicles battery,  which produces hydrogen gas. Any loose terminals or sparks near a battery is a bad idea. Be safe people

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.