FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Who Plans to Hit The Chu?  (Read 3084 times)

taxid

Re: Who Plans to Hit The Chu?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2021, 04:29 PM »
I have seen countless more Bluegills at Quabbin and often more room for casting a fly rod... My father, Will, and I have had a great time getting nice Crappy on the fly rods with some  Blue Gills mixed in. We were in a boat rental at the time. When you are ready I can get you some waypoints...

Thanks for the offer! Probably won't make it out there this year though.

I too have found some bedding bluegills on Quabbin years ago taking a rental boat out of Area 3. Good enough size it was tough to reel them in. Wasn't using a fly rod at the time -- just reeling a twister tail jig through the beds.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2021, 07:49 PM »
I know I keep catching them on 5/8 oz Jitterbugs...

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2021, 04:01 AM »
I know I keep catching them on 5/8 oz Jitterbugs...

:wacko:

We used to have bluegill hit crank baits in a pond outside of Ayer years ago. (Plow Shop Pond) Strange they don't do that out here in Indiana. At least not bass size baits.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

stripernut

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2021, 05:09 AM »
It is just that you have wimpy fish out your way! LOL!

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2021, 10:14 AM »
It is just that you have wimpy fish out your way! LOL!

Could be.  ;D

My theory is there is so much pressure on them out here that the aggressive ones have been all but are extracted from the gene pool. And due to the intense year around pressure we just don't have as many or the size you do. I caught one over 11 inches on a small lake at the former Ft. Devens. They typically top out about 10 or so out here.  We have people out here that will go through and remove every last one from bluegill bed colonies.

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2021, 02:35 PM »
Was there yesterday, slow slow. 1 laker and and second run. No smallie love on jerk baits..the epo that checked me said that was the theme of the day
I have spots in mind Keith  but I've never hammered them hard enough to point you there..I need to spend more time as well
I stopped in for an hour yesterday afternoon myself. Had one good hit . Tried crank baits ,jerk baits ,top water, and rubber worms. Had the hit on a worm.

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

westernmas

« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2021, 04:43 PM »
The smallies in the chu get massive. We were soaking bait a few years ago and my cousin almost lost his rod to this pig.  He’s like 6’ 215# for reference. Didn’t take any measurements back then.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

BASSQUATCH

• Bass Fishing For Life 🎣
« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2021, 12:49 PM »
The smallies in the chu get massive. We were soaking bait a few years ago and my cousin almost lost his rod to this pig.  He’s like 6’ 215# for reference. Didn’t take any measurements back then.

That's a really nice smallie !

FOREVER HUNTING "BASSQUATCH"

Ryan51993

« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2021, 06:10 AM »
Finally got out yesterday. One 4 lb 9 ounce smallie on a med shiner was all I could manage. Wind was pretty bad in the spot I went to. Didn't see any lakers or salmon landed just a couple smaller smallies from other fisherman bouncing jigs.

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2021, 07:09 AM »
Patiently waiting for quabbin.

westernmas

« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2021, 08:23 AM »
Finally got out yesterday. One 4 lb 9 ounce smallie on a med shiner was all I could manage. Wind was pretty bad in the spot I went to. Didn't see any lakers or salmon landed just a couple smaller smallies from other fisherman bouncing jigs.

Thats a nice fish!  Rather that fight than a rat laker.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.