FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: November Wrap Up and December in the Books  (Read 3344 times)

taxid

Re: November Wrap Up and December in the Books
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:56 PM »
I believe the biologists here consider the splake to be sterile.  I've always been curious though because the Great Lakes seem to have reproducing splake in Copper Harbor and other spots.

All the literature I have seen says they are NOT sterile.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Interesting.  Something for me to review.  I don't believe splake are being stocked here in waters that have any number of native brookies.  On the other hand, the splake do move to waters where they aren't stocked.....like the Kennebec R.

All the literature I have seen says they are NOT sterile.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Splake can reproduce, but has never been documented in the wild in Maine (according to the Maine IFW's page on splake).  I swear I read somewhere (maybe wikipedia?) in Canada it's happened in the wild.  There is at least one body of water in Maine where splake are stocked where native/wild brook trout occur (also according to Maine IFW's page). 

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:25 AM »
I stand corrected. You guys are essentially correct. Although they can theoretically successfully reproduce the success rate is nil to none.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splake
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

saltyshores

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Splake are not sterile. I have seen lots of splake that produced viable eggs and sperm, but have never found anywhere in Maine where they actually reproduced. We had about 15 splake lakes in my region of eastern Maine which we trapnetted, gillnetted, and creel surveyed without finding any "wild" splake. We checked with several Canadian biologists who stocked splake and none had found any natural reproduction. Some told us that although the stocked splake produced viable sex products, their differing habits in the fall did not result in any spawning.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Thanks for the details and science, Rick 8)

Splake are not sterile. I have seen lots of splake that produced viable eggs and sperm, but have never found anywhere in Maine where they actually reproduced. We had about 15 splake lakes in my region of eastern Maine which we trapnetted, gillnetted, and creel surveyed without finding any "wild" splake. We checked with several Canadian biologists who stocked splake and none had found any natural reproduction. Some told us that although the stocked splake produced viable sex products, their differing habits in the fall did not result in any spawning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.