FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: November & December Landlock Salmon  (Read 2614 times)

TightLinesMaine

November & December Landlock Salmon
« on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:52 AM »
I had a wild stretch of salmon fishing late November into December, I landed 10 including a top 3ish Salmon (pictured last) on the fly rod for me; a "tank" male, I would guess in the 22"/4 lbs. range.  The rest of the fish were mostly males, and in the 18" to 20" range.  The big one put up quite the battle, had to give him line multiple times and he worked me up and down the river before bringing him to net, he had some serious muscle.  All fish were caught on streamers, orange, gold and white were my "lucky" colors in that order.  Here are some pictures  8)

to give you an idea of the size of the last one, notice how small my right hand/fingers (without the glove on) looks in that picture compared to the other pictures.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: November & December Landlock Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Awesome!    ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

JDK

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:49 AM »
Nice fish.

# SAND

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Beautiful fish, Randall 8)  Now, if only you can keep that rolling into January. 

A question....how many outings did it take you to ring up 10 fish?

All signs point to a tough Jan. to Mar. "open" water stretch.  I couldn't believe the amount of ice locking up the rivers this week.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Beautiful fish, Randall 8)  Now, if only you can keep that rolling into January. 

A question....how many outings did it take you to ring up 10 fish?

All signs point to a tough Jan. to Mar. "open" water stretch.  I couldn't believe the amount of ice locking up the rivers this week.

Thanks Jim, I believe I had 11 or 12 outings in about a 20 day stretch, I averaged about 1 a trip and skunks were uncommon.  I was on the water just about every other day  8), short trips though, no more than 2 to 3 hours at a time or so.  I had a streak going of 4 outings landing a salmon, including one day I landed 3 (one of them was very small, 13", I didn't take a picture).   I had a similar successful year in 2015, except the fish were spread out over time more, this year, the window was much shorter due to the cold weather/snow and other "flow" factors.

Unfortunately, I went out this past Tuesday after a break from fishing and didn't see any more salmon, not to say they aren't there but my guess is they've dispersed and have made their way downstream &/or into hiding.  Water temps are already borderline 32*F/33*F.  The bite was good right down until water temps dipped to 36*F or 37*F.  In 2015, fishing was great right up until Christmas, even landed one the first week in January.  Not going to happen this year.  No complaints though. 

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Wow, looks like you had a great close to the year, I haven’t gotten out at all other than walking around the woods.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Wow, looks like you had a great close to the year, I haven’t gotten out at all other than walking around the woods.

Thanks Chi, we should hit the ice sometime this winter, I want to fish that spot we met up (on the ice) last year, sooner than later.

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the details, Randall.  You're still getting out a bunch! 

I've been out 3 times so far in Dec. for about the length of time you mention.  I got 4 fish (all brookies) in the first 2 trips and not a bump on the 3rd.  The lack of browns is troubling.

Interesting you mention the Winter of 2015-2016!  That was a dynamite open water season.  I landed 58 trout/salmon between Jan-March in 2016. That was in just 10 outings.  Averaging 6 a trip in the "dead" of winter.  Crazy ;D

Water was under 32* at all spots this week. 

Thanks Jim, I believe I had 11 or 12 outings in about a 20 day stretch, I averaged about 1 a trip and skunks were uncommon.  I was on the water just about every other day  8), short trips though, no more than 2 to 3 hours at a time or so.  I had a streak going of 4 outings landing a salmon, including one day I landed 3 (one of them was very small, 13", I didn't take a picture).   I had a similar successful year in 2015, except the fish were spread out over time more, this year, the window was much shorter due to the cold weather/snow and other "flow" factors.

Unfortunately, I went out this past Tuesday after a break from fishing and didn't see any more salmon, not to say they aren't there but my guess is they've dispersed and have made their way downstream &/or into hiding.  Water temps are already borderline 32*F/33*F.  The bite was good right down until water temps dipped to 36*F or 37*F.  In 2015, fishing was great right up until Christmas, even landed one the first week in January.  Not going to happen this year.  No complaints though.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Thanks for the details, Randall.  You're still getting out a bunch! 

I've been out 3 times so far in Dec. for about the length of time you mention.  I got 4 fish (all brookies) in the first 2 trips and not a bump on the 3rd.  The lack of browns is troubling.

Interesting you mention the Winter of 2015-2016!  That was a dynamite open water season.  I landed 58 trout/salmon between Jan-March in 2016. That was in just 10 outings.  Averaging 6 a trip in the "dead" of winter.  Crazy ;D

Water was under 32* at all spots this week.

have you seen the 10 Day forecast Jim? doesn't look promising for early winter open water, a lot of overnight lows in the negatives   >:(.  I was debating one last 2017 open water outing for Christmas Eve but I probably won't have the motivation &/or time. 

Jim C.

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Yeah, I see the forecast :P  Not very hopeful for non-ice fishing.  Like you say, maybe XMAS Eve.  One year was like this and we had a very productive thaw in mid-Jan.

have you seen the 10 Day forecast Jim? doesn't look promising for early winter open water, a lot of overnight lows in the negatives   >:(.  I was debating one last 2017 open water outing for Christmas Eve but I probably won't have the motivation &/or time.

seamonkey84

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Thanks Chi, we should hit the ice sometime this winter, I want to fish that spot we met up (on the ice) last year, sooner than later.
I would love to. I hope to get out more his year, still sharing one car so who knows.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:11 PM »
That’s awesome! Thanks for the share

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2017, 11:06 AM »
Crazy Randall! Man, can't wait to get after them through the ice, nice work! Great job on the pic and release as always

franklin fisher

« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2017, 11:42 AM »
  Those are some beauties.

fish wayniac

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Randall, Beautiful fish and so late in the season. You and Jim are animals.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.