FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: hunting age lowered  (Read 7751 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: hunting age lowered
« Reply #45 on: Aug 06, 2008, 06:36 PM »
Jona,
After reading the further account of this tragedy, I agree with you.

I was recalling my earliest hunting experiences with my dad. He was a woodchuck hunter. The farmers in the area he hunted all appreciated him for his safe hunting practices. I would go with him and spot for him. I couldn't have been more than 7. 

I always helped him reload for his pet 222 Remington. then we'd go to the range to test ammo. I can still recall when I turned 12 and was allowed to shoot at the range under his supervision.  The first group I shot with his 222 was less than 1/2 ".  He framed the target and it hung at our cottage for many years.

Dad never hunted deer that I can remember. I don't think he liked the idea of being around others in the field.

Every kid should be so lucky to have those memories.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #46 on: Aug 06, 2008, 07:33 PM »
i wish i had the opportunity to do what you guys had! i didn't get to shoot a rifle until i was an adult!

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

OTIS

« Reply #47 on: Aug 07, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I took my middle son to the shooting range last weekend.  He finally fits my fathers old Nylon 66.  He had a blast!  We went through a half a brick.  He couldn't have been more proud showing mom his targets.  He loves shooting a small bow I got for him, but longs for the day he gets a real compound.  Big brother and little sister weren't very happy, but it's good to have some one on one.  I need to make the time to do that more often.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #48 on: Aug 09, 2008, 06:38 PM »
The range, gravel pit, anywhere safe to shoot are great places to take the kids. I'm a believer that if you teach a kid to shoot, the mystery of firearms is removed. They don't have the curiosity that leads them to trouble when they know what shooting is about.

I grew up shooting a single shot Winchester. My reward for being a "good boy" was a box of 22 shorts.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Duck Doctor

• Throbbin' rods and smokin' drags!
« Reply #49 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:34 AM »
The range, gravel pit, anywhere safe to shoot are great places to take the kids. I'm a believer that if you teach a kid to shoot, the mystery of firearms is removed. They don't have the curiosity that leads them to trouble when they know what shooting is about.

I grew up shooting a single shot Winchester. My reward for being a "good boy" was a box of 22 shorts.

RG

I agree with this 100% but I will also add that it teaches a child respect for firearms!
Personal Best NH fish: Rainbow Trout  5lbs 8oz  Brown Trout 6lbs 3oz Lake Trout 10lbs 6oz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.