FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: alligator gar  (Read 5575 times)

Bigcast88

• The Never Ending Pursuit Of The "BIG ONE"
Re: alligator gar
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2014, 03:24 PM »
i want to get my hands on a pike i saw a couple of vids on here and pike just look like all kinds of fun.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I enjoyed your thread and your pictures, thanks for sharing.  I've had many gars hit but rarely hook them for obvious reasons when bass fishing.  This past spring I hooked nice big longnose gar one on a Rat-L-Trap and had it to the boat.  Just as I reached to net the fish the hook pulled free and off it swam.  I was so close to landing my first gar!  This one remains on my bucket list!

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I remember reading some years ago in the In-Fisherman (I believe it was) magazine about a guide that developed a system for fishing for Gar with a very successful hookup rate. If I remember right, he used a length of braided rope that he had unraveled and tied onto the shank of the hook he used like somewhat of a crude fly which he then dipped in some homemade concoction of scent. Apparently, when a Gar took his rig, it had trouble shaking the lure (or fly) whatever, from it's mouth because it would become tangled in it's teeth allowing the angler time to get a good hook set.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Yeah, I heard that too WK.  A buddy of mine actually ordered lures designed for gar along that principle.  I'll see if I can get the name of them and a picture.  I've been too cheap to buy one!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.