FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 10% federal excise Tax on fishing equipitment..  (Read 3051 times)

esox v

10% federal excise Tax on fishing equipitment..
« on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:04 AM »
 Did you guys know there is a 10% Federal excise tax hidden in most of the fishing stuff we buy. Add that to 8% sales tax and WOW !!! Rod builders and Jig and Bait maker's beware.. I know it's old but was a good read.
  http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/sportfishingtax.html
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Gamma Fish

Re: 10% federal excise Tax on fishing equipitment..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:25 AM »
Did you guys know there is a 10% Federal excise tax hidden in most of the fishing stuff we buy. Add that to 8% sales tax and WOW !!! Rod builders and Jig and Bait maker's beware.. I know it's old but was a good read.
  http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/sportfishingtax.html
The Wallop - Breaux tax has been in place for year and it's the only tax that totally benefits the sportfishing world with every cent !
  As a manufacturer,distributor, jobber you need a 637 Federal Excise tax form on file or you'll be charged that 10% tax on each purchase.  As with sales tax, it's a "Pay now or pay later" set up.
  In the end, the tax gets pushed to the final user.....the consumer !   It's a great tax as hard as that is to say !
Plastics are Fantastic !

esox v

Re: 10% federal excise Tax on fishing equipitment..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:33 AM »
A quote from the link...
Not many of us enjoy paying taxes. It seems like everything carries some sort of tax these days and the very idea that a user tax is buried in the price of our fishing tackle can be upsetting. However, this is one situation where you can be sure where your tax money is going and what it's being used for. Each fiscal year, the monies collected under the SportFishing Excise Tax (Wallop-Breaux Tax) are distributed among the Fish and Wildlife Departments of all 50 states. The amount each state receives is based on a variety of criteria, including respective state fishing license sales and ratio of land to water. Only a small percentage (about 6%) of the total tax is withheld for admninstrative purposes. The next time you see your Fish and Game department improving a boat ramp, stocking a lake or river, conducting a fishery survey, etc., you'll have a good idea where the funding for these programs come from. For many, it is the primary source of their total funding.

6% goes to administration... I hate to say it.. I also think I agree with you. Depending on how it's used. I wonder what the dollar number is for NY state from this... and what they use it for. Does it go into the conservation fund?? Then again..... Maybe I won't look into this any further and keep this warm fuzzy feeling I have about this. Yep.... Heads going back in the sand.............................................
 Just another way the fisherman pay for the things that We and that others use.  10% to the Fed... 8% to the state.. and 29 bucks for the privilege to use it.
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.