FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: late nite catfishin  (Read 6216 times)

Jigwiggler

Re: late nite catfishin
« Reply #15 on: Jun 24, 2004, 07:44 AM »
wny angler,

Man those are some nice cats for the size of that body of water!  Do the come in from a lake or larger river system or do they inhabit that stream all summer?

May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #16 on: Jun 24, 2004, 10:00 AM »
Great photos!  I started my son when he was just a little guy, and now 25 years later, he out-fishes me every time! 
       I noticed that there seems to be 2 colors of cats, a yellow and a dark gray - are they 2 different species, like channel cats and blues?  Here in Manitoba we have massive channel cats, small brown bullheads, and tiny stone cats and mad toms, but only the channels get to sizes up to 42" and 30+ lbs. in the Red River.  (It's strictly catch and release over 24", and the big guys are allowed to get even bigger).  I've never caught a really large one tho', but there's always this weekend!

wny angler

« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2004, 04:07 PM »
wny angler,

Man those are some nice cats for the size of that body of water!  Do the come in from a lake or larger river system or do they inhabit that stream all summer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 actualy the creeks bigger than it looks, i was fishing the narrow deeper (9 ft) side  channel .The fish come in from lake erie in the spring to spawn ,a fair number of fish stay for the summer but most head back out to the lake where there caught in 50 + fow.

here's another a pic of the creek ,its the largest tributary on the new york section of lake erie

Great photos!  I started my son when he was just a little guy, and now 25 years later, he out-fishes me every time! 
       I noticed that there seems to be 2 colors of cats, a yellow and a dark gray - are they 2 different species, like channel cats and blues?  Here in Manitoba we have massive channel cats, small brown bullheads, and tiny stone cats and mad toms, but only the channels get to sizes up to 42" and 30+ lbs. in the Red River.  (It's strictly catch and release over 24", and the big guys are allowed to get even bigger).  I've never caught a really large one tho', but there's always this weekend!

must be nice to have cats up there  in the 30lb range,most of ours average 2 to 15 lbs with a few 16to 24 lbers the largest caught so far in this area was only a 32 lber

as for the color of the cats, there all channel cats--seems the smaller ones are a bit lighter with some spots, the bigger fish tend to be very dark in color but their all still channel cats

wny angler

« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2004, 08:30 PM »
went out  for one last catfish outing last sunday,the water levels were dropping and the spawning run was just about over. we ended up with only 3 nice size cats and some small 16- 20 inchers-lost a monster cat that just about spooled me before he broke off.    looks like i'll have to wait till next year for that 30 lb'er

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.