FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I WOULD RATHER BE FISHING  (Read 1632 times)

abishop

I WOULD RATHER BE FISHING
« on: Nov 08, 2020, 08:15 AM »
I have been raking oak leaves all weekend. With 30 mature trees (70 footers) my yard is a mess. Worked all day yesterday and have to burn the back today. Must take advantage of this nice weather and low winds. With any luck I will only have to rake up 1 more time before the snow flies. Still a lot of leaves on the trees. I used to go with the saying, nature put them there nature will remove. Same like snow. Just can't seem to go with that anymore. LOL

rivereddy

Re: I WOULD RATHER BE FISHING
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2020, 10:07 AM »
Amen brother...

My lot, just under an acre in area is heavily wooded. It is also situated in a suburban residential area and I feel obligated
not to let my leaves bury my surrounding older neighbors. On the 4 pickup days in November, the city allows me to put out
40 bags of leaves.  I use 55 gallon drum liners and currently have 82 of them lining my driveway. That represents about half
of my leaf fall -  mostly maple, tulip, hackberry and redbud.  Like you, my oaks are just starting to drop in earnest so I've got
plenty to keep me busy.  My "catch" is the European copper beech tree, Fagus sylvativa V. atropunica that dominates my
front yard.  That variety is native to the maritime climate of the U K.  It is about 3 weeks behind its North American cousins so
in the spring when buds are popping everywhere, it looks dead as a bug.  In the fall, you guessed it, it's still green until almost
every other leafe is bagged.....  Fortunately I have a gardener neighbor who is delighted to the non acidic beech leaves for mulch,
but it also means I may be cleaning up into early December.  I tend to let the smaller back yard go after a couple of trips over.
I grind them up and have about 5 large compost piles out back.  Like you I am taking advantage of the mild weather, lousy for
duck hunting, and trying to buy some time later in the season.

I silll manage to slip away to the local river and, again, deal with leaves searching for smallies.....

fish on, making leaf blower music,

rivereddy

Spooled85

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2020, 07:12 PM »
Second that fishhoger ! Makes for more vegetation for next yr  ;D

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2020, 05:25 AM »
After a million years of raking leafs I got a new grasshopper mower that includes the mulching deck. I now enjoy leaf clean up. Beer in holder and radio muffs on. Cleanest yard in the neighborhood.

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:49 AM »
I have just under 4 acres here in CT and did my own fall cleanup this year.  Never again...I'll pay someone next year.  Trading fishing hours for moving leaves should be illegal.

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2020, 10:48 AM »
I have just under 4 acres here in CT and did my own fall cleanup this year.  Never again...I'll pay someone next year.  Trading fishing hours for moving leaves should be illegal.
Amen 2 that. Got up this morning and did it all over. 3 days in a row. Already it looks as if I never touched the yard. If I don't have to work tonight and we don't get the rain they are predicting, I will probably be at it again in the morning. At least my yard is looking better than my neighbors. (Which is a first). LOL

fishinator

« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2020, 11:55 AM »
I normally just mow over mine. This year they all came down at once and the wind blew everyone else's into my yard. Can't mow when they are 2 feet deep!

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2020, 03:00 AM »
I normally just mow over mine. This year they all came down at once and the wind blew everyone else's into my yard. Can't mow when they are 2 feet deep!

funny how that works! No matter which way the wind blows the leaves all seem to end up in my yard!
Keep it safe! JDL
Keep it safe! JDL

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2020, 11:06 AM »
....I'm going to need to make another pass. When my gf and I bought the house in July I stated firmly that I'd be paying to have all the yard work done...now I have a leaf blower, trimmer, chain saw, the collection of landscaping equipment is growing and my fishing hours are suffering.  Sure I take pride in maintaining my own property...but I take more pride in catching fish...next year I'm spending the 1000 bucks I was quoted for fall cleanup and going fishing instead.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.