FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: gps's  (Read 1743 times)

skulldugary

gps's
« on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:04 AM »
I've been messing around with my friends Garmin Geko 101 gps.There is a lot of crap to go through to use it.I am looking for one that is realitivly simple to use,I will mainly use it to find and mark mushroom hunting spots.It seems that I get so engrossed in picking that I pay absolutly no attention to where I'm going.Do any of you guys use a gps?lets hear som pro's and con's on diffrent makes and models.Picking season is just around the corner and although I do carry a compass,I'd like to have something more accurate.............Gary

wyogator

Re: gps's
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2004, 09:23 AM »
I have an old Magellan Pioneer; I got it in '97, I think. I use it for all kinds of things, from hunting, backpacking, mountain biking and kayaking to fishing. One useful thing; I go fishing in my canoe during late fall to mark spots for ice fishing later. it is usually accurate to within a few feet. I don't know if they have become more complicated or not.  I am no tech wiz, and I learned how to use mine in a relatively short amount of time. You basically turn it on, program it to your area, altitude, time and date, and let it pick up at least three satellites. I think it takes four for a vertical fix. You can mark spots you want to return to by pressing the "mark" button. You can hit the nav button and change from a lat/long mode to a moving compass mode which shows the compass as well as speed. Later, when you get familiar with it, you can log in waypoints, to create a route, like marking trees with blaze orange ribbon, without the hassle. I recently looked at the new ones and they have additional features like, map downloads. This may make the new ones a little more confusing. Mine works just fine for me. If I need a map, I can use Delorme's Gazeteer.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2004, 11:20 AM »
I have a Garmin legend that has a back trac feature. You just turn it on has you leave your vehicle and it will trak has you go with out entering way points. If you get lost ??? ??? you hit the back trak it will show you the route you came in on. Any more questions feel free.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2004, 12:30 PM »
I have a garmin V  with 16 mb of internal memory and the road map.  I took me several hours and a number of days in the field to figure out how to use it.  But it's a great tool.  You'll need to read the manual  :P.  If you ever buy one,  get one with the expandable memory cards,  so you can swap the maps around.  You can use the 'find' function and the unit will give you directions how to get there like on Yahoo,  record waypoints and tracks,  and retrace to the point of origin.  Mine is accurate within 12ft on a good day,  usually more like 16 ft.  I strongly recommend one for anyone on the boat or icefishing  ;D
GONE FISH'G.......

Polar

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2004, 07:53 PM »
I use a standard horizon Mainly use it for fishing a great tool after you get use too it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.