FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628950 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2340 on: Jun 19, 2015, 02:55 AM »
Just a blabbering old man ;D

I'm skipping my run this morning to get on the water before sunrise. Gonna do some more testing.  ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2341 on: Jun 19, 2015, 07:26 AM »
Tying up jigs for early Aug Alaska trip for silvers:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2342 on: Jun 19, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Very sexy looking bugs  ;D

Have  fun trip.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2343 on: Jun 20, 2015, 03:18 PM »
More hooks!

Scored a great buy on eBay for TMC 100 and 200R hooks. My two favorite hooks to tie with. 350 hooks for under $35 ;D

The Eagle Claw hooks are for the next batches of Mulberry Flies :w00t: Gotta make them sink!

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2344 on: Jun 21, 2015, 01:11 PM »
So....here's the Mulberry Fly
Hook: Eagle Claw #6 red baitholder
Veevus 200d gSP
Body: 1/16" craft foam, purple
Tail: green rubber leg
.020 round lead

.020 lead wrap

Wrap the lead, add a "stem", coat with super glue

Cut a strip of 1/16" craft foam as wide as the shank is long.

Tie in the foam at the midpoint and coat with superglue. I use my bodkin to move the glue around. Don't coat the whole strip or you'll end up stuck to your fly ;D

Wrap the hook with 4 or so turns to form a roll. Cut the foam at an angle and make sure it's stuck down good. Throw a couple half hitches in the thread at the eye and get it out of the way. If you don't have a thread rest......make one!

Cut away everything that doesn't look like a berry. Kinda like carving a duck ;D

Wrap the thread back and forth making "berry bumps". Whip finish at the eye.

Get out your pile of sharpies and do some coloring

Couple coats of Hard As Nails and it's a Mulberry!

The first batch float like corks. Mulberries sink like rocks. This batch will sink.

To be fair, I found this recipe online. Mine is a bit different, but, there's a thousand different ways to tie a Mulberry Fly ;D hope to give it a good workout tomorrow. I'm taking the GoPro and the camera just in case. This could be a lot of fun.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #2345 on: Jun 21, 2015, 02:22 PM »
looks a lot like carp fishing fun...mulberries = carp lol's which are a ton of fun lol's

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2346 on: Jun 21, 2015, 08:26 PM »
Ingenious Rg...  but for me,... futile! The problem is that we don't have any Mulberry trees in my neck of the woods that I'm aware of. The only ones I've ever seen were growing in a friend's yard... far removed from any stream/river bank. But I guess it pays to be opportunistic as you've done.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2347 on: Jun 22, 2015, 02:13 AM »
So far I've located 4 on the canal. I'm going out this morning. We'll see ;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2348 on: Jun 28, 2015, 05:17 PM »
So...I modified the way I tie these critters.

This method leaves the hook more exposed and requires less trimming of super glue soaked foam. I hate getting my good scissors gooped up >:(

I'll skip the narrative. If you need instructions I'll be happy to provide.
Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #2349 on: Jun 28, 2015, 07:13 PM »
So you are basically making a berry Bob?

BTW, nice clean retired hands.
 :D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2350 on: Jun 28, 2015, 07:21 PM »
tossing  some  foam  and  hair  for  bass   I  noticed  a lot  of  caddis  ..... ;Dand  a lot  of  slurpin ....think  some  elk hair  caddis  and a  few  stimulators  would  work really well on the  gills  just before  dark
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

oatkasut

« Reply #2351 on: Jun 28, 2015, 07:30 PM »
yes sir, they should work really well. Cast it out and let it sit or drift for 20 seconds and then twitch it by shaking the rod end a bit;SLAM!BAM! you got him! My Dad used a royal coachman, his favorite fly and caught countless gills every night we fished from 6-9PM!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2352 on: Jul 06, 2015, 07:21 PM »
Tied up some lightly weighted Double Martinis. Also working on some emerald shiner streamers.

The Martinis seem to work best in yellow/ black and pink/black. Bluegills love the things. It doesn't seem to matter if there's eight legs or four and the hackle is irrelevant.

I think the streamers will produce in the early morning hours where I'm fishing.
Rg

boondox

« Reply #2353 on: Jul 07, 2015, 02:03 AM »
rg are you running a trailer hook on that emerald shiner pattern? if not the wing proportions look off? i always use 1.5 to 2 of the shank length. for good reason they nip at the tail  of the fish some times and don't get hooked so a trailer hook is needed... looks like 3-4 times the shank from here. if not able to find the correct length hooks try tandem rigging the hooks... that was for longer flies like emeralds..  all i do is tie the back hook up first then work my way forward to the front hook on tandems..   this does not mean your wrong just helpful suggestions to catch more fish.. looks like a deceiver type pattern the way you have it now...instead of traditional type streamers pattern.. try mixing olive with gray buck tail over a white belly... i like that braided silver Mylar piping for the body on my shiners... but every one is different on what they like...not sure if tandem is legal even in new york  etc... so be careful and don't take this to seriously... lol's just trying to help out lol's     

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2354 on: Jul 07, 2015, 03:27 AM »
Thanks for the tip Boon. These are smallmouth I'm after. They generally don't hesitate and just inhale the fly. But I keep some #16 treble hooks with me to add as a trailer when I need them. Tandems are legal in Ny as well.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.