FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: crappies-  (Read 7188 times)

got em

Re: crappies-
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2021, 10:28 AM »
I fish the same exact spots that RiverRat2 did at the Basic res.  8) . . Sure miss his posts

greensider

« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2021, 05:48 PM »
No giant’s today but caught a lot of fish

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2021, 10:54 AM »
RIP!  I miss his posts too.  We'll keep fishing in his honor.

Hardwaterhonkey

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12, 2021, 07:07 AM »
hudson river
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
The catch and release section can be exceptional in a few spots that I’m thinking of wonder if your on the same stretches I only ice fish it tho

PeterCos

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2021, 06:05 AM »
Fished Saratoga yesterday with little luck up on Fish Creek. A couple of guys said they got a few off of Franklins Beach before the wind picked up. It seems every year I get a little disappointed this early in April. Only been at it a few years and am spoiled when I find them in full spawn and catch a ton but  not so good at other times.  Is that normal or should I just wait them out a little before expecting real hot action. PS water temp was around 56.

PeterCos

« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2021, 06:53 PM »
Went again today and they have not gathered anywhere yet. That is not really surprising as the water temp was only 51.6. Does everything seem it a little late or is it me?

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Went again today and they have not gathered anywhere yet. That is not really surprising as the water temp was only 51.6. Does everything seem it a little late or is it me?

Seems to me the past few years have been like that.

iceplank

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 07:37 AM »
Yeah. 51 degrees is still not where we want to be. It is behind for sure! with some of the hot Aprils in the past, the crappies are finishing up by now and the big gills are moving in. The first string of warm sunny days we get will hopefully get things rolling. Have you seen many boats out there on Saratoga?

PeterCos

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 03:51 PM »
No there have not been a lot of boats on Saratoga.  When you say the crappies are done do you mean they will spawn in the cold, not at all still waiting for a warm spell?  Hoping they will still spawn when warm enough. That said, the weather is still cold for the foreseeable  future and I will be tracking pike and walleye starting next week.

PeterCos

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 03:52 PM »
No there have not been a lot of boats on Saratoga.  When you say the crappies are done do you mean they will spawn in the cold, not at all or still waiting for a warm spell?  Hoping they will still spawn when warm enough. That said, the weather is still cold for the foreseeable  future and I will be tracking pike and walleye starting next week.

greensider

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 05:33 PM »
Should spawn on next full moon

PeterCos

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 07:53 AM »
So this could happen as late as late May? That is when is looks like nice weather and a full moon will coincide. Should I look for them where I usually find them spawning?

greensider

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 04:00 AM »
With the colder than normal spring they might actually spawn a little deeper where water is more stable if they are not on shoreline look a little deeper

greensider

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2021, 06:09 PM »
So here is my crappie report I went to a large pond this morning deepest water is 17 feet water temp was 54 not even a gill bed along shore lots of suspended crappie from 5 to 10 feet over deeper water all active fish that would bite were along a weed edge in 6 feet lots of pickerel biting only landed 3 keeper crappie then went to Whitney point nothing on shore or less than 10 feet all crappie i saw were suspended in 12 to 14 all over lake couldn’t get any to bite water was 56

iceplank

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2021, 11:52 AM »
No there have not been a lot of boats on Saratoga.  When you say the crappies are done do you mean they will spawn in the cold, not at all or still waiting for a warm spell?  Hoping they will still spawn when warm enough. That said, the weather is still cold for the foreseeable  future and I will be tracking pike and walleye starting next week.
I am thinking it will be a late spawn since the water temps dictate it. I plan to hit it tonight or tomorrow but misplaced my trailer registration sticker and the DMV is hell right now. I fished Lake Champlain about 12 years ago and the fathers day perch were still spawning and in colder springs we have gotten smallies still spawning in July. So we will see how this late warmup effected the crappies on Saratoga If nothing else some giant gills should be active

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.