FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead 2021  (Read 7153 times)

Bartman44

Re: Steelhead 2021
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Good luck. My old fishing buddy always used to say  "You can't catch 'em if you're not there."

With that said, I'm waiting till next week  :laugh:   

Mid 50's on Wednesday. 

kc

« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2021, 07:44 AM »
I am with you Bartman. I will wait till next week. But I am only 1.5 hrs. away.

Salmon Egg

« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2021, 02:31 PM »
We just finished fishing under the bridge as suggested. No fish so far. I think the temps probably have them acting sluggish but that’s really just a guess. We are going to look for access to a deeper pool.

paul young

« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2021, 04:41 PM »
Schoolhouse pool will be holding a ton of fish. Always is. There was a major habitat improvement project done there recently. Lot's of deep water there. CHECK IT OUT! The wire Hole, just below it is perfect for bobber fishing.

There is a lot of good water between there and Pineville. Hemlock, about 1/2 mile below the Trestle pool is one of my favorites. A bit of a walk, but a great pool.

I'm sure there are fish digging redds in the gravel spawning and getting ready to spawn. That will be in fast, fairly shallow water. The Males will stage downstream from the females 10-15'. Leave the ladies alone. The males are fair game, though.

Good luck! -Paul

Salmon Egg

« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Thanks Paul. We tried a couple other access points but didn’t find anything that we liked as much as the first spot. We did see a nice pool but it was just above the bridge in the fly fishing section.  We aren’t fly fishing though.  I hadn’t seen your post or we would have checked out those spots.  We are planning to try the Oswego River in the morning but maybe we should try the SR again. No fish but a fun trip so far.  It’s a cool area.

Salmon Egg

« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:36 PM »
I just looked up schoolhouse pool. I actually parked at the lot there and walked around. I saw strong current and didn’t see any noticeable pools with my untrained eye. I probably waked right past it.

In that lot there was a young, female conservation officer.  She suggested Black Hole but we weren’t able to find an access point except through a pay-to-fish place. 

paul young

« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:54 PM »
The area I'm referring to is about 1/4 mile downstream from the Altmar bridge. The schoolhouse was what is now the Tailwater lodge. Best access is from the shore opposite the lodge by walking thru the field by the power lines. There's a parking lot for about a dozen cars there. At the end of the path, turn left to Schoolhouse pool, or turn Right to the wire hole. Both good areas which will also have a lot of fishermen, But there is room for quite a few. You should be able to find some space among them. Watch closely and learn. -Paul

Salmon Egg

« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  We ended up trying under the bridge again.  My buddy had given up and was just watching me so I felt bad having him walk to other holes.   I did get to see another guy catch a Steelhead. None of the other guys there caught any while I was there.  We also tried a couple hours at the Oswego River but didn’t catch any. The ice on my line kept messing up my slip bobber so I was having a hard time getting my bait deep.  No one else was around so maybe they knew something we didn’t.

Despite not catching anything, it was a fun trip.  I really liked the area.  I am eager to go again.  Thanks for all of the pointers. 

kc

« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2021, 06:04 PM »
Hey salmon egg, don't feel bad. I went up this week and I am a regular up there. Usually once a week.
I was only able to land one small steely this time. It has been a slow season for me. We did real well this fall and early winter. But the low water we had all winter has the fishing for me off a bit.
Can only hope it gets better this spring.
 If you venture up this way again, give a shout out to me and I will meet you up there and try to show you around.

paul young

« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Salmon egg,

That there is a very kind offer from a man who has a lot of experience on the Salmon River. Take him up on it. You will likely learn more in a day or two than you would in a couple seasons on your own. -Paul

kc

« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2021, 01:08 PM »
Mr Young chances are we have crossed paths up there before. If you ever see an old man with a white moustache stop and say hello.

Salmon Egg

« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:52 PM »
Hey salmon egg, don't feel bad. I went up this week and I am a regular up there. Usually once a week.
I was only able to land one small steely this time. It has been a slow season for me. We did real well this fall and early winter. But the low water we had all winter has the fishing for me off a bit.
Can only hope it gets better this spring.
 If you venture up this way again, give a shout out to me and I will meet you up there and try to show you around.

Thank you.  Sounds awesome.  I’ll have to find a time to get back up there. Thanks!

paul young

« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2021, 03:58 PM »
There will be some fantastic fishing to be had in April, and possibly into May. Don't miss it! -Paul

Salmon Egg

« Reply #28 on: Mar 18, 2021, 08:56 PM »
Thanks.  I might take a trip up again this weekend or next.  It looks like this weekend is going to be nice.  Next weekend looks like rain is expected but I did read that that sometimes draws fresh fish into the rivers.  Rain may also make for less crowding. I can handle bad weather so I am on the fence about waiting.  I don’t think I can swing both. 

Salmon Egg

« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2021, 02:53 PM »
Okay, I’m locked in.  I’ll be up next weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.