FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pretty fly for an old guy  (Read 1648 times)

Timmydann

Pretty fly for an old guy
« on: Mar 24, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Getting ready for the trip to fish the sr in pulaski tomorrow, I'm going to focus on fly fishing, i bought a new rod and reel and only had a few chances to use it last year, who else likes to fly fish

TomFish

Re: Pretty fly for an old guy
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2021, 09:14 AM »
I've never fly fished. Its something I would love to learn.

My wife has zero interest in fishing, but says she might consider fly fishing.  If i hadn't spent so much money on kayak and ice fishing, i would buy a couple fly combos and call her bluff.

Timmydann

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2021, 09:38 AM »
My first fly rod came from walmart, and has been replaced a few times, last year I bought a st. Croix  rio santo 8 wt and a Okuma slv89 reel, all set up it was under 200$

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2021, 01:43 PM »
I’ve been known to toss a fly or 2. I’ll be happy when my local streams settle down.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2021, 09:24 PM »
I  fly fish  about  100 times a year and try for 1000 fish! My buddy just bought a fly rod combo setup at Walmart for $25!; rod reel line 5 wt 8.5 ft. He could not pass it up even though he has about 10 outfits. It's great fun and you'll learn something new every trip! give it a try!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2021, 03:25 AM »
Only 10???

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bigal409

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2021, 05:14 AM »
I love to fly fish. My buddy has fly fished the SR for over 35 years and got me into it a few years ago. love it.  Fish On.  :rotflol:

Timmydann

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:35 AM »
My buddy backed out on the trip to the sr, waited till the last minute to tell me, I was really looking forward to getting a fish on a fly >:( ,oh well that's life

bigal409

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2021, 08:33 AM »
My buddy backed out on the trip to the sr, waited till the last minute to tell me, I was really looking forward to getting a fish on a fly >:( ,oh well that's life
Trout season opens the first. Can always go for them with a flyrod. I might be on the SR this Saturday.  :thumbup_smilie:

Timmydann

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2021, 09:16 AM »
Now that the weather is good, I'll be back to the daily grind, won't be much time for fishing, 20 more years and I can retire, if my job doesn't kill me first ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2021, 04:42 PM »
Whatever you do, buy all your flies. If you ever decide to start tying your own, get immediate counseling. The repercussions are inevitable.

Starts with a never ending accumulation of fur, feathers, thread, tinsel, scissors and stuff you won’t remember why or how you came by. Next comes the need to store and organize all that stuff. Parts of your home will be slowly eaten up until you reach the point of needing an addition. There goes a second mortgage.

But, seriously, I’ve  been tying and fly fishing a long time. It’s more than a hobby. It’s a relief. Relief from just about everything ...if just for a while.

Go, get lost on a stream trying to figure out why your casting resembles a Whirling Dervish battling a swarm of angry hornets.

My best advice is,buy a straw hat with a wide brim. It helps keep the flies out of your ears....the flies your casting anyways.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2021, 05:22 PM »
I love to fly fish. My buddy has fly fished the SR for over 35 years and got me into it a few years ago. love it.  Fish On.  :rotflol:

chome is  fun on the  fly ....... i caught my  first steelie on a  fly
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

gotagetm

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:06 PM »
thats good rg!!!!! funny but true in all your points made !!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:25 PM »
Just speaking from e experience.

Rg

Timmydann

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:15 AM »
You speak the gospel rg, I did buy a cheap tying kit a few years ago and I keep it in an old tackle box, im always picking up. Feathers, and being a hunter and trapper i always have furs, i even saved the pheasant my son shot last fall

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.