FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bullheads  (Read 12063 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: bullheads
« Reply #60 on: Apr 20, 2021, 07:09 AM »
i done a little experiment ....now different places and different times you get different results i fished liver crawlers ,red worms,lver, and   bloodsuckers...............redworms and crawlers out fished the bloodsuckers and liver at least 4 to 1....day before blood suckers dominated
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Mac Attack

« Reply #61 on: Apr 20, 2021, 07:51 AM »
I agree with you Trapp that worms “typically” outfish other bait, and not just for bullies.
However, because of this, I have experienced times when smaller other fish would easily pick the hook clean of the worm.  So I would switch to leeches and experienced two things.  First, the leech is far tougher and harder for smaller fish to pick apart and strip the hook.  Secondly, I have found that most of the smaller fish weren’t interested in a leech for its meal.
So, in these cases, leeches far OUTFISHED worms and other bait.  They simply caught more fish because the little fish couldn’t/wouldn’t get it off the hook.

BTW, this is why I will often use squid over cut bait and shrimp when fishing saltwater.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #62 on: Apr 20, 2021, 07:51 AM »
I use shrimp, actually cheaper than buying night crawlers.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: Apr 20, 2021, 07:59 AM »
I’ve tried shrimp, sardines, livers, red worms, scented dough baits, beef liver, stinky cheese, hot dogs, cut bait and leeches.

99% of the time I use night crawlers....and catch fish.

I’m gonna try some of Danny Kings stuff on the channel cats. There’s  some good sized cats in the canal.

Last year I accumulated some good carp gear and I’ve seen a few videos of guys using carp techniques for cats. Most of them use treble hooks but they don’t catch and release like I do. Never really liked the taste of channel cats but they’re fun to catch.

So, I’ll probably use a gauze sac and circle hook instead. It’ll be interesting to see if the bullhead around here like it too.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #64 on: Apr 20, 2021, 09:21 AM »
i know the cheap hot dogs anfraspery jello on them works and 1 inch chunks of slim jims chunks ofcheese as well  ....but they don't out fish a night crawler

trapper2000

« Reply #65 on: Apr 20, 2021, 09:28 AM »
i have caught bullheads on jigs and rapalas i bet if you can get away from weeds you could get a bullhead to hit a crawfish pattern fly.......hmmmmmmmm

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #66 on: Apr 20, 2021, 01:54 PM »
After going to all 3 grocery stores in my area and not finding any chicken livers, I ordered 2, 14 oz tubs of Danny King’s blood catfish bait. Ended up getting it from Bass Pro of all places. Amazon was over $35 for the two and couldn’t get it here until May 4. Bass Pro was $22 and gave me 2 day shipping.

None available at their stores.

I’ll give it a try and a review......if it doesn’t snow next week.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #67 on: Apr 20, 2021, 04:23 PM »
I was thinking I’d make up some gauze sacks maybe using a bit of flour to help keeping it from sticking to my gloves. Shouldn’t hinder the scent in the water and I can use circle hooks so I can catch and release.

There’s more than one way to catch a cat.
We’ll see how it goes.

Rg

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #68 on: Apr 20, 2021, 06:07 PM »
We used that stuff when we were fishing cats out in Iowa. Smells terrible. We used the trebles with the springs and just pushed them into it with a stick. Easy to bait and it stays on really good with the springs. Nonstop action.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #69 on: Apr 21, 2021, 06:09 AM »
I have a little fixture for tying egg sacs that I’ve used for all kinds of bait sacs. I’ll come up with a way to make bait sacs with this stuff.

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #70 on: Apr 21, 2021, 06:32 AM »
catfish contest would be fun

62 & Done

« Reply #71 on: Apr 21, 2021, 11:17 AM »
I went out last night.  Everything was good until a cold front came in and is was getting blasted  with sheets of hail not to mention the lightning that lit up the sky. Enough was enough and I went home with just enough whisker fish for dinner tonight.  I may try that borax recipie for the chicken livers. That Danny's goop sounds interesting but also a little disgusting . We'll see

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #72 on: Apr 21, 2021, 02:01 PM »
Can’t think of a bullhead bait that’s not disgusting. Let’s face it, they’re ugly creatures that live on the bottom of the food chain.

Rg

filetandrelease

« Reply #73 on: Apr 21, 2021, 03:24 PM »
Can’t think of a bullhead bait that’s not disgusting. Let’s face it, they’re ugly creatures that live on the bottom of the food chain.Rg
  Not to another mud guzzler 😉

trapper2000

« Reply #74 on: Apr 21, 2021, 05:25 PM »
crayfish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.