FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pollen affects fishing?  (Read 2203 times)

nsbadge

Pollen affects fishing?
« on: May 08, 2021, 05:40 PM »
I was trolling this morning and the surface of the lake was covered with pollen. Also my depth finder was showing clutter (pollen) to a depth of 10 to 15 feet. I would assume that fishing in the pollen infested water would be unproductive. Wouldn’t fish avoid areas with a high concentration of pollen? I am not just looking for another excuse for not catch anything.  :laugh: just wanted some opinions

hardwatergrampa

Re: Pollen affects fishing?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 08:57 PM »
i say yes it does

swnoel

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 05:43 AM »
I don't know about the fishing , but it sure does affect me!

nsbadge

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 05:44 AM »
I was trolling a Gray Ghost on sinking fly line and I had a second pole out with a deep diving Rapala. Both these methods have been successful the past few weeks. But neither one would have gotten below the pollen and I had no strikes. I talked with a few other fishermen at the boat launch that had been fishing like methods and no one had a strike. I left my downrigger and pole with Lead Line at home. Lesson learned. I should at least load them in the car so they are handy if I need them.

nsbadge

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 05:56 AM »
I don't know about the fishing , but it sure does affect me!

I have been lucky. It has never affected me. But that’s not to say that can’t change. I know some people are almost incapacitated by it. And now this time of year we also have the Browntail Moth Caterpillar and the ticks to deal with. About 8 years ago at Recompence campground my wife had a Browntail Moth Caterpillar walk across her bare neck at dinner. I removed it and casually threw it in the woods not being aware of what it was. By the time we finished dinner my wife’s back and neck were on fire. That night she was in so much pain we ended up at the emergency clinic. They knew right away what it was and said it was the worse case they had ever seen. She lost three days of our vacation to the pain and discomfort.

swnoel

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 08:12 AM »
I have been lucky. It has never affected me. But that’s not to say that can’t change. I know some people are almost incapacitated by it. And now this time of year we also have the Browntail Moth Caterpillar and the ticks to deal with. About 8 years ago at Recompence campground my wife had a Browntail Moth Caterpillar walk across her bare neck at dinner. I removed it and casually threw it in the woods not being aware of what it was. By the time we finished dinner my wife’s back and neck were on fire. That night she was in so much pain we ended up at the emergency clinic. They knew right away what it was and said it was the worse case they had ever seen. She lost three days of our vacation to the pain and discomfort.

That sucks for sure! I haven't been bothered by pollen for years, but now it seems to be back with a vengeance! I don't even want to get into ticks... I can't even go outside without having at least one of those parasites crawling on me! This is gearing up for  one hell of a year!

woodchip1

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 04:51 PM »
To still get a good day watch the wind  direction  the wind will blow pollen ashore fish the upstream shore where fish have bunched up.

nsbadge

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 07:04 PM »
To still get a good day watch the wind  direction  the wind will blow pollen ashore fish the upstream shore where fish have bunched up.

Thanks I will definitely try that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.