FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: April.....Had Its Moments  (Read 1913 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
April.....Had Its Moments
« on: May 02, 2021, 04:29 PM »
But also a lot of hours fishing over seemingly barren waters.  Maybe it was the weather.....colder than March, with more snow, but not a lot of water overall to feed the streams until the end of the month.

I made it a point to spend a lot of time wading the shorelines of bigger lakes looking for holdover trout and salmon.  I caught fish on about half the trips and had a least a hit or follow on about 2 trips out of 3.  It came down to busting my butt for a hit or 2.  I learned a lot though about wind direction, shoreline types, and access.  For the most part, if there wasn't an onshore chop against a rocky shoreline or a steep drop off, there was no sign of life.  An onshore wind into gradually sloping, soft bottomed coves didn't cut it.  So, juggling all the factors  made it a tough game.  Still, the rewards were there and all the sweeter because you had to fight for them.   Browns dominated (a welcome change), with a few small salmon in the mix.   Pics aren't the best with a lot going on wading on a steep rocky drop in a heavy chop :laugh:

This little guy wasn't going to wait around for a pic when release was in sight.

And on those days when lake shore trout and salmon were a "no go",  I found a few panfish to give me a tug.  I wouldn't mind getting into the pumpkinseeds with a flyrod on warmer days!  Even they were picky at times if the water cooled too much and my sorry butt got totally consumed by the skunk monster twice :P

As far as the small streams go, they were predictably frigid for the opener.

And even when they warmed up a bit, it was slower than usual.  It was fun to meet the challenges.  On one outing, you had to get your lure deep back into root structures to get any hits.  The fish I did entice weren't big, but they were black as coal 8)

When it comes to small water, I am more than a wee bit secretive.  "Mr. X from Parts Unknown" suits me just fine ;D

As mentioned, rain did return to end the month.  Flows livened up and the fish responded.  From the looks of the forecast, we should be in good shape for awhile now 8)

Small water equals small fish for the most part, but size doesn't matter when I'm into an afternoon of eager native brookies.  I even managed to catch a couple photos as one grabbed my white jig and became quite annoyed at the hook.

May....I'll likely get more serious with the flyrod 8)

fish wayniac

Re: April.....Had Its Moments
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:02 PM »
Hi Jim, You always catch nice fish in-spite  of the conditions. Nice Browns , Salmon and those native Brookies .

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 07:51 AM »
Great fish Jim! Those natives are absolutely stunning.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Thank you for sharing.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Hi Jim, You always catch nice fish in-spite  of the conditions. Nice Browns , Salmon and those native Brookies .

X2! That dark brookie is really neat too! Good camo in those dark holes I bet.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 05:31 PM »
wow, that's one wicked dark native! nice lake/pond action too.  Do you still have a 3 wt. (or 2) Jim? I forgot.

Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Thanks, Randall.  Ponds/lakes have been decent......weird thing is that I'm splakeless so far :-\

I have a 3 wt.,  6'6". 

wow, that's one wicked dark native! nice lake/pond action too.  Do you still have a 3 wt. (or 2) Jim? I forgot.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 08:28 PM »
Thanks, Randall.  Ponds/lakes have been decent......weird thing is that I'm splakeless so far :-\

I have a 3 wt.,  6'6".

I'm splakeless in my lifetime :P haha

are you ever tempted to use your 6'6" 3 wt in those small streams in April? or a little too close-quarters?  My "bow and arrow" casts have gotten better over time fly fishing streams like that :D

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 08:27 AM »
A lot of the waters are too tight and brushy for my tastes for flyrod.  There is one water north of Belfast that opens up for a stretch and dries are a ball when it warms up. 

are you ever tempted to use your 6'6" 3 wt in those small streams in April? or a little too close-quarters?  My "bow and arrow" casts have gotten better over time fly fishing streams like that :D

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Good mix of fish Jim. The last couple rain storms should set up the month of may for you pretty well.

Steve H.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 07:45 AM »
Always enjoy your posts and pics.  Thanks.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

CF

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 07:27 AM »
Nice JIm!
Formerly CLAMFARMER

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.