FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: A kayak for the boy  (Read 3423 times)

Spider1

A kayak for the boy
« on: May 08, 2018, 05:31 AM »
I picked up an old Future Beach Trophy 126 a little while ago for my grandson. Got it cheap but had to fix some damage. There was a nasty melt spot in one side that was about 1 1/2" round. Looked like someone forgot to move the kayak when they warmed up the car this winter. All the material was still there, just melted and pooled up. I cut it out and re-melted it back to where it was supposed to be, even added a little extra HDPE from a Folgers coffee can to make it extra thick for sanding. Sanded it down smooth and covered up the scar with a kayak sticker. Good as new. Since my grandson has never been in a kayak and I've never been in a sink I figured I should take it out, get a launch permit and give her a test ride so I can know best how to advise him. Going to Promised Land for this first trip. I hope to get into some perch and pannies but I bet the trout keep me occupied. I'm at work right now and it's sloooooooow, so I might just have to burn some personal time ;)

taxid

Re: A kayak for the boy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:30 AM »
I have no experience with a kayak yet although I just bought a used Hobie mirage kayak that I will pick up on Thursday.  I'm being told wearing some kind of life vest is a good idea even if it's not mandatory. Allegedly they can tip? Maybe some of the experienced kayak users can chime in?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Your best bet as a first time kayaker is to just get in and float around. your body will adjust to the "swaying" after a few minutes and your confidence should follow. In my experience, its actually pretty hard to flip a kayak. The easiest way to flip is hitting a rock on one of your sides.
Wicked Wec

Spider1

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35 AM »
I'm not a first timer, just never had a sit in kayak. I have a Wilderness Systems Ride 115. Taxid, you are gonna love that Hobie! And yes, always wear a pfd. Get a good one. I have an NRS Chinook, it's designed by kayakers for kayakers and the best thing, it has lots of pockets! My grandson has never been in a kayak but he's been in my old canoe. He's almost 18 and part of the computer generation. But, he told me he'd like to do something this summer other than veg out on the 'puter and that he would be interested in paddling around. Like I said, I don't have much experience with a sink (sit in kayak) so I'm taking it out today to get the feel for it so I can best advise him on it's use.

chris458wm

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Having him want to do something other than veg out is a huge part of the battle.  I'm sure once he gets the hang of it he'll be hooked and want to go all the time.  Ask Chez about the sink, his is one. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Well thats great because i also own the ride 115. I also have the Ascend FS10 sit in which i mostly use in windier conditions and rivers. To be honest, its really the same game for me. the sit on top is definitely more stable but i have never experienced a near "tip over" in the sit in. I think you and he will be just fine.
Wicked Wec

CHEZ2

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Good Luck
With that new Yak bro.
Give me a report.

Spider1

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:55 AM »
Chris, this kayak is the same as the one Chez has been in for the last 4 years. It has good reviews from him, that's why I got it.

Sharps, funny you should say that. I was sitting in the kayak fishing and paddling around. Sort of impressed with how quick and nimble it was compared to the Ride. But man-oh-man that seat sucks! Big time. After a couple hours I started rooching around tried to lift my butt up and reposition and then I did something dumb..... I forgot where I was, I tried to stand. I can't say it was a surprise. I saw my folly as the boat started to slide sideways. Was no shock about it, I knew I had involuntarily decided to go swimming! Turtled the kayak in 11 ft of water. I flipped the kayak back over, that wasn't too hard but it was filled with water. If I tried to get back in it would have gone down since there was no other floatation in it, so I decided to swim it back to shore which was only about 30 ft away. With rubber boots on. Did you know that it's very hard to swim with rubber boots on... you go almost nowhere. Lucky for me I was wearing my pfd. Got the boat back to shore, drained and put back on the water and fished for a few more hours. Lucky for me I left my wallet back in the car. Unfortunately my phone wasn't so lucky.

One thing that bothered me was that there were several people all around watching. One elderly couple in a boat about 75-100 yards or so away. Not one did a thing until I got to shore, every one of them just went on fishing. One guy came over and asked if I was ok.

so, rule #1, always wear your pfd. It does no good at all once you're in the water and it's slowly floating away with the rest of the debris.

rule #2, don't try to stand in this kayak. It ain't yer wildy. I like the kayak, it handles well, but the seat is horrible. That is gonna have to be replaced. The boy is younger and can probably handle it better but I gotta say it loud and proud, the seat sucks.

rule #3, don't wear rubber boots in a kayak unless you're prepared to kick them off if you need to.

and rule #4, don't hope that anybody is going to help you. They'll all watch as you slowly drown or have a heart attack cuz your trying to drag a water filled kayak in 11ft deep water with rubber boots on.

oh well, ya gotta be tough if yer gonna be dumb. It's a water sport after all.

Oh, ps. got a couple trout. Didn't want them but it's all that was biting. Caught 6, kept 2. It's funny, only started keeping them after my swim...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 06:23 AM »
wow. glad you are all right and made it out. i may have missed it but what type of kayak were you in?  just wondering what seat it has.

Wicked Wec

Spider1

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 06:38 AM »
It's a Future Beach Trophy 126.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Ahhh. Yeah those do not have the greatest seats in that at all. Its pretty much just padding.

Wicked Wec

Spider1

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 08:23 AM »
yeah, and the back ridge of the padding is right under yer butt so you feel it real good. After a couple hours it felt like I was sitting on a piece of rebar.

CHEZ2

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I got a 3"fell cushion on my seat Mike.
The new yak seat looks a lot more comfortable.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37 AM »
You may be able to find and fit one of those small beach chairs into it. The ones that are like 5"off the ground with the plastic strapping. Buddy did this and loves it.
Wicked Wec

Spider1

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 11:12 AM »
I don't know if there's enough room in there for a beach chair but I saw a diy on youtube where a guy cut out the old seat on the 126 and installed a padded canoe seat. I think ascend has a folding seat that might fit like this also. yeah, a new seat is in the planning. I don't know how yet but I'll come up with something cuz that factory one... well, you know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.