FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I fished A-1 and Wachusett yesterday evening.  (Read 3663 times)

n1pj

I fished A-1 and Wachusett yesterday evening.
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:20 AM »
Last night I went fishing at A1 in Westboro. I caught a 6 inch yellow perch which I decided to use as bait at Wachusett. I fished close to where we started opening day but next to the channel this time.  I was lazy and didn't want to switch my big hook to my heavy duty casting rod so I just put the perch on my medium setup since that already had the right sized hook. I threw out the heavy duty rod with a bobber and a shinner trying to catch a salmon. Everyone usually laughs when I am using that rod since it is so big for the areas where I am fishing, it casts good so thats why I use it. As I am watching my bobber I start hearing the drag on my other real start ticking extremely fast. I ran over to it and the line was just spinning of the reel at an extremely fast rate and the pole was bent. I let the fish run and after about a minute or so my reel slowed down almost to a stop so I set the hook and tried to turn the fish around so I could reel it in. The fish didn't like that too much so it took off again this time snap, not only did my line snap but my browning graphite also snapped. It was my favorite rod, I had it forever. I used it to pull in my 5 pound 8 ounce award small mouth bass and numerous other 4 and 5 pound bass over the years.

If I had taken the time to set up my heavy pole I would have probably landed the fish without the rod breaking.

So instead of a fish picture I give you this picture.

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
Re: I fished A-1 and Wachusett yesterday evening.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 12:02 PM »
Where's the Goat Hat when you need it!!!!!!!!!

n1pj

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 12:10 PM »
Where's the Goat Hat when you need it!!!!!!!!!

hows it going, we should go striper fishing sometime.
Probably with BJ's ice fishing gear lol. Well atleast I don't have to wear it in the summertime.

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 01:17 PM »
It still stands that you WILL wear the hat in the summertime.....no getting around it.

My fishing trips are last minute decisions...too busy as of late.

BJ

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 01:45 PM »
Dont be scared PJ!! Go back and get that fish with some heavy gear!!

deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 05:48 AM »
pj what do you think was on the other end of that line? a big lake trout maybe.

amazinmoose

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 07:50 AM »
musta been a huge mudd rat or a big bad bass   - tightlines moose

n1pj

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:03 AM »
pj what do you think was on the other end of that line? a big lake trout maybe.

I am not sure, whatever took it hit hard. The perch was swimming on the very bottom or close to the bottom when it was hit. Could have been a laker or possibly a Smallmouth.

BJ

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Mugz,Robbie and I fished A-1 today for about 3 hours. Slow day with only 3 fish. The biggest was about 4 pounds. I have to estimate because when Mugz went to pull it out of the water for me,instead of lipping it he grabbed the line and when the fish shook his head the line snapped. Still nice to wet a line. A decent day with the boys and a few coldies. We went to lunch at Cheng Du and had the buffet. Not too shabby!!

BJ

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2005, 12:07 AM »
Mugz and I fished A-1 again today in the rain. 9 fish between the 2 of us all on shiners. Biggest was about 2 1/2 pounds. Mugz tried his new lure that he made but didnt have much luck. Did have a nice fish make a run at it but it didnt wack it. I think the boy could be on to something!!

Mark Barlow

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2005, 08:27 AM »
 Well, we all saw the Mug-O-Matic just sit there time and time again and after all the crap he put up with from us about it,  the thing produced a nice 6 lber. His homemade lures may just work too. ;)

suckerbait

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2005, 08:50 AM »
Turn your favorite rod into a jigging stick. All of my ice fishing rods are from rods that have broken over the years. Real easy to make!

BJ

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2005, 02:36 PM »
I cant wait to fish A-1 from the top of the ice!!! Come on old man winter!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.