FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Its a Start  (Read 3676 times)

westernmas

Its a Start
« on: Apr 26, 2019, 08:34 AM »
I guess its better than nothing but figured I'd post so people know the change in the rules for next year.

https://www.onthewater.com/massachusetts-enacts-striped-bass-conservation-regulations
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

Re: Its a Start
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Garbage.  I hated reading every word of that Pat.  Its disgusting that a little bit of lobbying from the Commercials allows the powers that be to continually abuse rec fishermen.  Circle hooks will do NOTHING to stop overfishing.  I gut hooked way more bass on eels using circles than octopus hooks...

Its also ironic that they post that considering OTW would report on stripers infinitely until they couldn't make money off of the backs of those bass...

Soon we'll all be chasing bluefish...

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Garbage.  I hated reading every word of that Pat.  Its disgusting that a little bit of lobbying from the Commercials allows the powers that be to continually abuse rec fishermen.  Circle hooks will do NOTHING to stop overfishing.  I gut hooked way more bass on eels using circles than octopus hooks...

Its also ironic that they post that considering OTW would report on stripers infinitely until they couldn't make money off of the backs of those bass...

I couldnt agree more Jon.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:03 AM »
I couldnt agree more Jon.

It doesn't help when Jimmy Fee is doing FB live posts of mega blitzes.  The contradiction OTW is, was the reason I only contributed once...

ICEHOLE

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:13 AM »
every year it seems like something new...
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:31 AM »
It doesn't help when Jimmy Fee is doing FB live posts of mega blitzes.  The contradiction OTW is, was the reason I only contributed once...

Spot on! Its why I stopped chasing Striped Bass years ago. I still do a few runs per year for them but other than that, you know my game. I like to chase fish that have zero blitzes... only way you can find them is by dropping a line down. I have done the OTW gig as well, in all of my C- spots. Go ahead, tell the world, no loss there except for the readers.
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:50 AM »

I agree.  The one night I got into the stripers really good on eels I was using circle hooks to start and gut hooked way more fish and its impossible to get the circles out once hooked deep.  I quickly tied on octopus hook and landed 4 keeper sized stripers, all on the same eel.  Once I found my buddies in the boat with the eels I put a fresh eel on and landed a 45 incher.  They were all released but the first few with circle hooks had some jewelry in their guts bc I couldn't get the circle hooks out so i figured cutting my line was the next best option.  One of my best nights of fishing but was never comfortable being in LI sound at night in a 10 foot sit inside yak.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2019, 09:54 AM »
I agree.  The one night I got into the stripers really good on eels I was using circle hooks to start and gut hooked way more fish and its impossible to get the circles out once hooked deep.  I quickly tied on octopus hook and landed 4 keeper sized stripers, all on the same eel.  Once I found my buddies in the boat with the eels I put a fresh eel on and landed a 45 incher.  They were all released but the first few with circle hooks had some jewelry in their guts bc I couldn't get the circle hooks out so i figured cutting my line was the next best option.  One of my best nights of fishing but was never comfortable being in LI sound at night in a 10 foot sit inside yak.

LOL. that must have been an adventure!
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2019, 10:10 AM »
LOL. that must have been an adventure!

I've since purchased a Native Slayer 13 sit on top with the pedal drive.  Way too much fear factor in the sit inside yak.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Smart choice. 
Wicked Wec

deerhunter

« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2019, 11:17 AM »
it seems the rec guys always get screwed. we only account for 1 or2% of the catch while the commercials get the rest. I don't get it.

Roccus

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2019, 11:21 AM »

>:(

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Interesting that the Commercial guys still get to use J hooks as well...

As for their statement that: "recreational fishery is the single largest source of fishing mortality (48%)."

There is some pretty damning evidence that the commercial industry does a number on it as well.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Interesting that the Commercial guys still get to use J hooks as well...

As for their statement that: "recreational fishery is the single largest source of fishing mortality (48%)."

There is some pretty damning evidence that the commercial industry does a number on it as well.

From someone that has used gill nets and seines up to a few hundred feet long, working for the state or on my ponds,  I agree with you "recreational fishery is the single largest source of fishing mortality (48%)"
is hard to swallow. Sounds like absolutely bull****t to me.

Also odd that over here on the Great Lakes, apparenty the DNR's feel that it's just the opposite, as when the yellow perch stocks took a nose dive in Lake Michigan, the commercial perch fishing was the first to go. They bought out all the commercial perch fisherman.

Sounds like someone has better lobbyists.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

deerhunter

« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2019, 02:31 PM »
by catch kills more fish than is harvested. and its legal. I,ve seen it myself in vineyard sound after a troller goes by and theres a guy shoveling all the dead fish off the back. dead shorts floating  everywhere

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.