FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Its a Start  (Read 3677 times)

Roccus

Re: Its a Start
« Reply #30 on: Apr 29, 2019, 08:35 AM »
It's some weird rule that literally noone follows that goes something like if you are a commercial fisherman fishing on a non commercial day you have to clip the fin if it's over 34in. Nobody follows it and they stack fish on ice for days in advance to sell them on Monday and thursday

sounds about right...rec's don't fin clip.. but a  "recreational" fishing commercial needs to if they retain a fish on an off day.at least that's my understanding.. that way if cant ( shouldn't) go to market if the fins clipped and an EPO knows instantly on inspection that it wont ( shouldn't) land in the market....  the hours and places I fish, I rarely  see anyone anyway. Especially after July.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #31 on: Apr 29, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Here are the RI regs -

Striped Bass   1 fish/day - 28 inch minimum
(no closed season)
In addition, any striped bass, 34 inches and larger, must have the right pectoral fin removed upon harvest.
Wicked Wec

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #32 on: Apr 29, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Here are the RI regs -

Striped Bass   1 fish/day - 28 inch minimum
(no closed season)
In addition, any striped bass, 34 inches and larger, must have the right pectoral fin removed upon harvest.
Ri came up with that reg to hopefully put a stop to people fishing the block and trucking fish to ma to sell

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 30, 2019, 11:39 AM »
The problem with striped bass is quite simple....it's PEOPLE!

If you remove people from the problem, there is no problem.

The irony of it all is that you have people regulating people, which is a fail/fail scenario in the long run.

Remember when we used to be able to use river herring as bait?
Then they stopped their use to "help the stocks rebound", and 10+ years later nothing has improved except that commercial netters can harvest them as "by-catch" with no ramifications.

So, the herring moratorium only seemed to benefit the commercial industry (fish oils pills) but not the fish stocks as intended.

Surely with a track record like that, we can't expect any striped bass regulating to be any more successful, right???
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Baitbucket

« Reply #34 on: Apr 30, 2019, 12:11 PM »
The problem with striped bass is quite simple....it's PEOPLE!

If you remove people from the problem, there is no problem.

Its not the people man.. Its the money.. Take the money out of it and there is no problem. Man kind has been living off mother nature since the  dawn of time. Add a monetary value to it, and it will be striped clean..

lowaccord66

« Reply #35 on: Apr 30, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Bunker is used for fish oil not river herring and the herring moratorium was because herring stocks had collapsed...(I always thought it was funny you could use herring in NY and not in CT or Mass!

History dictates that we absolutely can be successful managing the striped bass.  If you knew the history of the topic Fishermantim you'd understand that there was a complete crash of striper stocks and through a moratorium they were successfully brought back....only to be hammered again. 

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #36 on: Apr 30, 2019, 04:45 PM »
Oh, I understand. That's why I stated that the problem is people.
Sure, it's a generalization, but people are behind the asinine legislation, people are behind the money that pays for reports to be skewed so that that person/group can benefit from the reported information. People are behind all of it.

BUT...people are also going top be responsible for fixing it as well!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: Apr 30, 2019, 07:37 PM »
...and people were responsible for the legislation that put the moratorium in place and saved the species once before.  They'll do it again once enough money is threatened by the lack of bass. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.