FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: West Housatonic  (Read 3636 times)

bogtrotter

West Housatonic
« on: Apr 14, 2020, 05:50 PM »
I fished the West Housatonic in Pittsfield for about an hour after work late this afternoon.

It was sunny, blue skies, about 50 degrees.  The water was cold, high (for the stream) and fast.

After getting skunked by the Greendale Avenue bridge, I tried under and then a little ways above the Clapp Park trestle.

Eventually, I caught an 8" perch and a nice 13" rainbow, plus a 3" dace, before calling it quits.

lowaccord66

Re: West Housatonic
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2020, 08:45 AM »
Way to make it happen Jim.  Better than a skunk.

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2020, 11:06 AM »
I always appreciate how you try one spot and will pack up and try somewhere completely different if you aren't having luck.  I tend to do the same thing.  Heck on Friday I fished the Swift for a few hours in the morning, stopped home for lunch, and then hit the west branch in Chester.  I can only cast to tight lipped fish in the swift for so long.  Watching them refuse your offerings over and over can get to you.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2020, 02:23 PM »
I always appreciate how you try one spot and will pack up and try somewhere completely different if you aren't having luck.  I tend to do the same thing.  Heck on Friday I fished the Swift for a few hours in the morning, stopped home for lunch, and then hit the west branch in Chester.  I can only cast to tight lipped fish in the swift for so long.  Watching them refuse your offerings over and over can get to you.
I totally agree. the dumb stockies below route 9 would hit anything for me a couple weeks ago. it must be a bit of a ride for you pat?

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2020, 02:37 PM »
I totally agree. the dumb stockies below route 9 would hit anything for me a couple weeks ago. it must be a bit of a ride for you pat?

Its not too bad.  Its about an hour door to door.  I'm only 15 minutes from exit 3 on the pike.  I don't get there too frequently since the Riverton section of the Farmy is about half of the distance.  I usually hold off on tail waters while the freestones have a good flow.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

CMD1987

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Hit the Swift this weekend - been having pretty good luck but the rainbows are dropping back from their spring run, not seeing nearly as many holdover bows about - there’s an incredible amount of stocked browns.

Also managed this 20” chunker (released):

Got a few native brookies also:

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2020, 07:21 PM »
nice work my friend. did you sight fish that brown in the same area?

CMD1987

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2020, 07:29 PM »
nice work my friend. did you sight fish that brown in the same area?

Yep. The little ones moved out entirely. Just this guy sitting there. Wasn’t interested for a long time, then finally snatched it.

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Hit the Swift this weekend - been having pretty good luck but the rainbows are dropping back from their spring run, not seeing nearly as many holdover bows about - there’s an incredible amount of stocked browns.

Also managed this 20” chunker (released):

Got a few native brookies also: 

Yowza, those are some nice fish!  Congratulations.

westernmas

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2020, 11:39 AM »

I couldn't agree more about the number of browns.  I probably saw 5 browns for every 1 bow.  I kind of like it.  The browns are much more hidden in the sand and gravel versus the bows.  I didn't even see the brown that i caught last friday, just came out of nowhere and hammered the streamer almost at my feet.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2020, 01:19 PM »
I couldn't agree more about the number of browns.  I probably saw 5 browns for every 1 bow.  I kind of like it.  The browns are much more hidden in the sand and gravel versus the bows.  I didn't even see the brown that i caught last friday, just came out of nowhere and hammered the streamer almost at my feet.
when I fished with CMD a month ago he told me there right here. me looking around and seeing nothing im confused. take a cast and catch a fish. they blend in extremely well even in that crystal clear water.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2020, 01:38 PM »
So the Swift is not all catch and release?

Amazing how fish get tough to catch if they are caught and released a few times. Even brookies as dumb as they are can get tough to catch more than a couple of times especially big ones.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

westernmas

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2020, 02:25 PM »
So the Swift is not all catch and release?

Amazing how fish get tough to catch if they are caught and released a few times. Even brookies as dumb as they are can get tough to catch more than a couple of times especially big ones.

No below the route 9 bridge there is a season for keeping fish.  Above the bridge its CnR all year and fly fishing only (couple of known offenders who don't care for the fly fishing only piece).
Instagram @Patsquatch413

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2020, 02:44 PM »
I'll bet the catch and release section has a lot more fish!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

CMD1987

« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2020, 04:51 PM »
I'll bet the catch and release section has a lot more fish!

Honestly they move in and out - so there are a good amount of fish through out the whole river. But the c&r section is the furthest upstream you can fish. The area with the most fish consistently (IMO) is by the hatchery pipe. Smack in the middle of catch and keep. Hundreds of catchable trout in there at any given time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.