FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Saw something strange this past weekend...  (Read 4245 times)

zwiggles

Re: Saw something strange this past weekend...
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2020, 09:13 AM »
Perhaps it was my ten year old eyes, but I saw a snapping turtle in Maine as kid that was close to 3’ long. It’s head was sticking out of the water around a bunch of floating islands. My dad and I assumed it was a log, casted from our bass boat, and the log stuck it’s head under water..... it head was the size of a dinner plate, that much I’m sure of.

It swam under the boat in 5’ of water and was massive. I wouldn’t go swimming for the rest of vacation, lol.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2020, 03:49 PM »
I've seen some huge turtles in my days. Some that would scare many who didn't know how big they can get.
Keep in mind that the reason you don't see many HUGE snappers is because they are reclusive, slow moving and depending on where they live, they haven't been hunted (yet).
Like carp, given an unlimited food supply and little/no fishing/hunting pressure, they WILL grow to amazing size.
This same waterway contains numerous carp well above the 20lb range. I've seen enough jumping out of the water to know they are monsters.
Unfortunately the only way to really target them is from a watercraft. (River has almost no shore access for fishing, so no pressure.

I'm thinking of hitting the river again tomorrow, as the cooler temps should spur the fish to feed more.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2020, 06:12 PM »
Reefer is legal in Mass right?  ;D

Sorry could't resist!  ;)

;D ;D Wise guy. It was caught in Vermont. I don't know if it's legal there.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2020, 06:16 PM »
I've seen some huge turtles in my days. Some that would scare many who didn't know how big they can get.
Keep in mind that the reason you don't see many HUGE snappers is because they are reclusive, slow moving and depending on where they live, they haven't been hunted (yet).
Like carp, given an unlimited food supply and little/no fishing/hunting pressure, they WILL grow to amazing size.
This same waterway contains numerous carp well above the 20lb range. I've seen enough jumping out of the water to know they are monsters.
Unfortunately the only way to really target them is from a watercraft. (River has almost no shore access for fishing, so no pressure.

I'm thinking of hitting the river again tomorrow, as the cooler temps should spur the fish to feed more.

Bring a harpoon with you. ;D ;D ;D ;D

bogtrotter

« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2020, 09:08 PM »
I've had beavers that were an easy 70 pounds in my freezer.

Which suggests you've eaten beaver.

What does it taste like?

And do you have any recipes to share?

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2020, 10:50 PM »
Which suggests you've eaten beaver.

What does it taste like?

And do you have any recipes to share?

Actually no. I'm a taxidermist.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Actually no. I'm a taxidermist.

Ah, got it.  I knew you were a taxidermist (hence your username), but the "freezer" reference made me think of food rather than specimens.

Although, I have to say, I've never heard of anyone having a beaver "mounted" before.

fishinator

« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Ah, got it.  I knew you were a taxidermist (hence your username), but the "freezer" reference made me think of food rather than specimens.

Although, I have to say, I've never heard of anyone having a beaver "mounted" before.
I mount and eat beaver all the time.  ;D

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2020, 07:53 AM »

Not that uncommon for the taxidermists that do mammal mounts and beaver are common. I'm pretty much a fish guy although I used to do game heads. I ended up giving them to a fur house as I never got to them (they were given to me) and they took up a lot of freezer space.

Here's a pic of a mount I pulled off the Internet. Courtesy of All American Taxidermy Northern Illinois

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2020, 07:54 AM »
I mount and eat beaver all the time.  ;D

I should have posted "wait for it."  :rotflol:

bogtrotter

« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2020, 06:32 PM »
Taxid:

I'm curious. 

You say (and I believe you) that you've plenty of customers who've paid to have their beavers mounted.

Aren't most beavers "harvested" (if that's the right word) by trapping (as opposed to shooting them)?

It just seems odd to me to mount something you've trapped.

I "get" the idea of mounting a big buck that you've shot - - it's a trophy.  "Here's my 20 point buck . . . I stocked it for 2 hours, etc."

But trapping always seemed a more utilitarian pursuit - - you're doing it to harvest the pelt (or get rid of vermin).

What do you say about the mount of a beaver you've trapped? - - "I set my trap on Monday and went back on Friday, and here's the beaver I caught?"

The only time I've seen something like a beaver mounted has been in a museum - - The "private" mounts I've seen have been of animals with "sex appeal" like deer, bear, bob cats, coyotes, etc.

Again, I'm not trying to be a wise guy, just honestly curious, WHY do your customers have their beavers mounted?

(And, yes, I did realize I was "setting myself up" with remarks from the peanut gallery by using expressions like "eating beaver" and "mounting" - - but I couldn't think of any "politically correct" way to ask the same thing without using those "dirty words" LOL)

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Sep 19, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Bigtrotter,

I think some people have them mounted for the novelty or just to have one mounted on display. I've mounted so many fish for people their house must look like a museum!

Fishermantim

« Reply #27 on: Oct 05, 2020, 11:49 AM »
I was fishing the same river last week and saw what I believe was proof that my mystery creature was a huge turtle.
Saw 2 real big snapping turtles fighting in shallow water and when one rolled over at the surface it was the same basic shape as the "monster" that I had seen weeks ago.
Not as big, but the same shape and color.

Now on to more interesting "sightings"...This is no mystery. The Sudbury River does have river otters!
I've fished this river for well over 10+ years, and the only critters I've seen were a beaver or muskrat. Scarce at first, but increasing in numbers and sightings.

Now there is a new critter in the region.

Add that to the list of increasing wildlife that is moving back to our waterways (eagles have been back for a couple of years) and the outdoors are getting more and more interesting!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:35 PM »
Otters are really cool animals but I hope I never see one in my fish production ponds. They can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time and can come in during the night. Just like us they kill fish for fun too.

Fishermantim

« Reply #29 on: Oct 06, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Yeah, I know they are fish killing machines.
Fortunately this river has a LOT of meal sized fish to pick from!

A fellow angler showed me a pic he took of a 3-4 lb. bass that something hit and took a chunk out of while he was fighting it.
The only 2 possible culprits in this river with the "personality" and ability to do so would be either a big pike or an otter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.