FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Got the boat out  (Read 376 times)

rivereddy

Got the boat out
« on: Feb 28, 2024, 10:35 AM »
my buddy was just itchin' to get his boat in the water so I suggested we pay a call to a local reservoir.
This was on Feb 27.  The air temp got up to 73, but a steady wind made for whitecaps and bumpy rides.
Our plan was to hit a string of now empty docks in search of a few early season crappies. Our first stop was
the backwater of a causeway channel.  In spite of the fact that the wind howled through, we fished it for about 10
minutes. No go.  We then tried the slips on a nearby dock complex and, almost immediately, I picked up a good sized yellow
bass. About an hour later, my buddy took a 13 " LMB. We  should have gone home then because the next 2.5 hours
yielded no takers or even bites. Still it was a great day to be on the water.

Added note.  The waterfowl migration is going full bore at this time.  I can safely say we saw a couple thousand ducks
on the water.  One group easily covered at least 2 solid acres of area.  The water was black with divers.  We also saw
large groups of hoodies and coots and got fussed at by a couple of swans.

Added note #2 last Monday, the missus and I drove up to visit friends in Peru.  On the way we stopped by Mississinewa
to check out the low water and look for eagles.  Altogether, we say 8 baldies, (9 if I was added in),s and a huge raft
of canvasbacks.

Oh, yeah, it was 72 at this time yesterday, today it is 28...

fish on,

rivereddy

abishop

Re: Got the boat out
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2024, 01:39 PM »
Weather is crazy. Winter isn't over yet. I finally got my new tags in the mail for the boat. After this cold spell passes, I am going to get the boat ready for a possible Saturday excursion. Weather permitting. Got to get out of the house. Crappie should be hungry.

Hermdog

• lets go fishing, YEA BABY YEAAA
Re: Got the boat out
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2024, 05:54 AM »
Got my boat out last weekend and installed a new Helix 8 and Mega Live transducer. Getting evrything ready to hit the water this weekend! Can't wait!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.