FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623682 times)

Dark Cloud

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #510 on: Aug 06, 2011, 04:02 PM »
15  maybe  20  years  ago  a  friend  was  cleaning  his  barn  and  found  a  box  of  old  flyfishing  materials  ,  most    the  months  got  to  but   there  was  a   couple  books    i  still  have  ,  the  wet  fly  was  so  big  in  those  days  although  almost  forgoten  now  ,  i  think   i'm  going  to  have  to  play  :D 

We mostly swing and dead-drift wets down on the Delawares. Almost never see anyone doing it. Winged wets and emergers... Love the take on a wet!!!
Tank, his father, and uncles were fishing that way before the dams went in and we just continued, it flat out works...  8)
I keep it simple with about 3 patterns - "Presentation is more important than imitation"
1. Hares Ear Wet, tied in diff sizes and colors it covers about any hatch...
2. Lead-Winged Coachman, works great closer to dark when spent spinners are falling back to the water...
3. A loop wing emerger of my own making - basically a nymph back half, a thorax the color of the emerging bug, and a small loop wing made from maribou tips or cdc...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #511 on: Aug 06, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Well,
One of our "Grumpy Old Men Breakfast Club" members brought me a gift this morning. It was his Grandfather's and he doesn't tie. I gift him some flies every so often as he does fly fish.

The cigar box is a classic ;D Full of hand wrapped packages of hackles

This one's marked "Blue Jay Hackle"

"Kingfisher Back"

Some are in packages from England

There were other items that I had to discard. Bundles of grizzly, white and rusty hackle. There was some old squirrel , rabbit and deer hair patches as well. I was afraid of mites as they were a bit worse for wear. The hackles in the packages are perfect. As near as we can tell they're in the area of 50 years or more old.

Fun stuff for sure ;D
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perchgypsy

« Reply #512 on: Aug 06, 2011, 04:46 PM »
very cool got to make a special box..."RGs vintage flys"

wiredstone

« Reply #513 on: Aug 07, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Nice ! ;D You should come up with some cool patterns.
wooo fish on. Never mind

fishhooker

« Reply #514 on: Aug 07, 2011, 08:51 AM »
That's cool as hell.
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #515 on: Aug 07, 2011, 09:31 AM »
hey  RG  knowing  you i'm  sure  you  have  already    started   checking  out E. Veniard ...  interesting  what i  seen  already  ...nice  find ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

surflizard

« Reply #516 on: Aug 07, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Very nice score right there RG, the bright green Hackles are Amazing !  :thumbup_smilie:

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #517 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:12 AM »
mama  says  center pins  are  of  da  devil!!!!!  thats  what mama  says
Oh your just saying that!!! ::)
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #518 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Most of what's there lends itself to full dressed salmon flies. I've never ventured into that arena...but....... ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

surflizard

« Reply #519 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Some of the old English Salmon flies were real works of art !!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #520 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:54 AM »
I have a few my Daughter brought me from Scotland. They're some piece of work for sure.

RG

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #521 on: Aug 09, 2011, 04:28 AM »
I have a few my Daughter brought me from Scotland. They're some piece of work for sure.

RG

Well.... considering the few years we have conversed back and forth on these forums, I do not recall any  comments made in the past that informed  me you are a father?      

RG! Without my offspring....FM just would not be the person that I am. What I live for , is them....allthough, they probably don't see it.

I get my butt busted alot, even from numerous friends that I've met on these fishing forums.........regarding the hours I spend at the shop.   Many people make the comment..."Must be nice having a job like yours" ;)

The reality of my professional situation....is the fact that I made goals at a young age in life and worked very hard to reach them. Humbly, I must admit, that through hard work,  many of them goals have been met. Nothing was ever handed to me. When FM is not at the shop,...he is hanging with his kids...bottom line.

Now, to stop my regressing, I'm extactic to hear that you've probably been through many of the same teenage -female/daughter issues that life is now presenting me.

God bless..

bcons

« Reply #522 on: Aug 09, 2011, 06:13 AM »
Wow RG some cool stuff there!  Some of it may be well suited for a display case to adorn the walls of the Man Cave!
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

bcons

« Reply #523 on: Aug 09, 2011, 06:19 AM »

Well.... considering the few years we have conversed back and forth on these forums, I do not recall any  comments made in the past that informed  me you are a father?      

RG! Without my offspring....FM just would not be the person that I am. What I live for , is them....allthough, they probably don't see it.

I get my butt busted alot, even from numerous friends that I've met on these fishing forums.........regarding the hours I spend at the shop.   Many people make the comment..."Must be nice having a job like yours" ;)

The reality of my professional situation....is the fact that I made goals at a young age in life and worked very hard to reach them. Humbly, I must admit, that through hard work,  many of them goals have been met. Nothing was ever handed to me. When FM is not at the shop,...he is hanging with his kids...bottom line.

Now, to stop my regressing, I'm extactic to hear that you've probably been through many of the same teenage -female/daughter issues that life is now presenting me.

God bless..

Silly boy, get some sleep! Have ya seen his avatar?  Or noticed the progression?  On IS it was (might still be) "1st snowball"  He's mentioned his fishing partner before, & unless I'm missing something it's kinda tough to have a RG Jr.Jr. without having a jr. 1st.  ::) :-*
Thanx for the guys help Sat morning!  Mrs. Bcons is thrilled the car doesn't sound "Like a mack truck" anymore.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #524 on: Aug 09, 2011, 06:32 AM »
now  my  children  are  grown  and  flew  the  nest  ... and  even  tho  i see  my  lady  as  i  did when  we  first  met  ,i think  we  may  have  a  few  more  gray hairs  and  achy joints ...  life  flows  like  a  stream ...  a  nymph  hatches   into  a  mayfly  and  floats  down   if   no  trout  rises  who  nows  where  he  ends  up.... lance you  are  in  the  best   place  in life!  your  enjoying  a   wonderful  wife  and  watching  your  children  grow, enjoy  it! like  a  good  hatch  it  doesn't last  long!  as  far  as  your  busisness  noy  many  people    can  say  they  have  the  great  reviews  you  have   and   the  number  of  people  you  have  helped!  and  as a  sportsmen  ...  you   have  shared  your  secret  spot and  what  you  can with us all....  your  good  people  my  friend
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.