FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623819 times)

KingPerch

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #720 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:12 PM »
Used to intentionally catch eyes on Oneida w the flyrod back in the day. Most of the time it was when I knew there were solid numbers of fish around or you could see non biters. The non biters were caught by letting a non weighted clouser type fly slowly sink in front of them. Tank and I did well one spring night doing this. We took turns holding the light on the fish while the other casted.  ;D
If your fishing for em at night on O, there is no need for weighted flies...
Great info Dark Cloud...thanks for sharing! ;) Now...all I need to get KP Jr. is some clouser flies!!! :whistling:--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #721 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:37 PM »
clousers  are  a  simple  and   fun  patteren  to  tie  KP  you  can   google   a  u  tube   on  it   or   next  week  i  can  stop  out  and   show  you!  ....   i  was  hoping    tonight   but  it  was a  brown   >:(  still  fun   and  fall is  in  the  air  ..... 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #722 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:00 PM »
clousers  are  a  simple  and   fun  patteren  to  tie  KP  you  can   google   a  u  tube   on  it   or   next  week  i  can  stop  out  and   show  you!  ....   i  was  hoping    tonight   but  it  was a  brown   >:(  still  fun   and  fall is  in  the  air  ..... 
I think a flytying day is in order for Jr, RG and yourself!!  ;)-- ;)KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #723 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:03 PM »
I think a flytying day is in order for Jr, RG and yourself!!  ;)-- ;)KP

i'm  thinking  we   should  have  some  kind  of  a  meet  and  greet   with  everyone  invited 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Dark Cloud

« Reply #724 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I just dug through some stuff and found a few of the flies we used on shore eyes. Keep in mind these are 15-20 years old, lol. My first thought was to use a double salmon type hook that mustad makes(thats the one under my finger. They worked but typically the fish hit the front end of the bait and you either missed em or hooked them in the face. Experiment 2 was a treble attached to the head of the double hook, I cant find any of them i made. Then I went with a tandem treble creation...  8)

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #725 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Dc, that ring looks nice man.
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

Dark Cloud

« Reply #726 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Dc, that ring looks nice man.

Im getting used to it, lol. It was her only request that I try and wear it. I keep showing her how dirty it gets at work and the deer blood on it the other night. Problem is, that stuff cleans off...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #727 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Takes a little getting used too. I remember when I got married five yearsvago, for the first couple months I was always playing with it (the wedding ring I mean) but know it's like it ain't even there.
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

The Duke of Esox

« Reply #728 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole fly fishing deal and just started with it this past year.  I definitely have a lot to learn with everything but really like it.  Really want to learn how to tie at least some basic flies this winter...you know, pass the time and have something to look forward to come spring.  Anybody got advice on what's the best way to learn?  I live in the Syracuse area....

Special Ed

« Reply #729 on: Oct 28, 2011, 11:36 PM »

I remember back when I was  younger man I used to fish Caughdnoy dam alot for catfish and below the marina's release this old fart with a fly rod used to get eyes on whooly buggers and micky fins . There was current there and he used to strip em across . Never set the world on fire as I recall but he did enjoy himself ! Good luck Trapp  ;D
His name was Spencer.  He used big white streamers.   He caught more walleyes from Caughdenoy than anyone and never took more than his limit.  He'd catch fish right in front of you and make you look like a fool. 

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #730 on: Oct 29, 2011, 12:04 AM »
Takes a little getting used too. I remember when I got married five yearsvago, for the first couple months I was always playing with it (the wedding ring I mean) but know it's like it ain't even there.

Too funny! :P

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #731 on: Oct 29, 2011, 01:22 AM »
His name was Spencer.  He used big white streamers.   He caught more walleyes from Caughdenoy than anyone and never took more than his limit.  He'd catch fish right in front of you and make you look like a fool. 
i remember that guy. it was frustrating to watch him catch eyes every cast sometimes. that was a long time ago ??? ??? ??? ???

Special Ed

« Reply #732 on: Oct 29, 2011, 01:28 AM »
i remember that guy. it was frustrating to watch him catch eyes every cast sometimes. that was a long time ago ??? ??? ??? ???
Yeah.  He was in his 70's 20 years ago.   Tough old dude who would humble the heck out of you and then give you his fish !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #733 on: Oct 29, 2011, 01:48 AM »
Duke,
We're always ready to feed another fly addict. My suggestion is to either  buy a book from Orvis or start searching some of the fly tying web sites. There are a bunch of really good basic and advanced instructional sites around. Choose a good vise. I love my Danvise (about $80) You'll never regret that.

After that. build an addition to your house and take out a second and maybe third mortgage. You'll need the room and finances for all the stuff you're gonna accumulate in 30 years of fly tying.

Oh yeah, Buy good scissors! I like DR Slick scissors. ;D

We're always around to answer any questions.

Trap and KP, Any time guys!
Jay, you have a lot of imagination my friend.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #734 on: Oct 29, 2011, 01:52 AM »
Good morning RG.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.