FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623751 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #825 on: Nov 30, 2011, 07:08 PM »
this  is  me  and  what i  do  ....  i    fish   with  a  strike  indicator     cast   up  stream   let  it  drift  down  natural  ...  same  as   short  line   nymph  fishing   except     cast  further!   simple   mend   your  fline  to   keep  it  natural  .....  spring   time    fall  backs   become  aggressive  and  streamers   work  very  very  well   then   don't   just  swing     but   strip  the  fly  !!!!  a  wet  fly  type  swing  works  but  no where as  well as  a  natural  drift  ........  my  best  flies  are  nymphs ,  egg patterns   second  .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #826 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:04 PM »
duke, I've been fishing for steelies for a long time...and they were a mystery to me most of that time. catch one here, one there.  Nothing consistant. I didn't really feel like I started to figure anything out and catch consistently until I started fly fishing for them like I do for stream trout, the same manner trapper describes. 

My rig 90% of the time is an indicator...you want the distance between the indicator and the split shot to be a foot or two more than the depth of the water.  I like to use very little weight, one #7 and one #3/0 lead split shot.  If its deeper than 4 feet, i will put another 3/0 halfway between the main sinkers and the indicator.   tippet length depends on current speed, but usually between 18" and 30".  The dead drift is key.  Flip it up stream, and throw a mend in there immediately.   I "check" my indicator, as the surface current is always faster than the current on the bottom, the latter of which is what you want your fly to drift at.  

The other rig I employ is swinging egg sucking leaches, buggers, streamers and wet flies.  I usually do this in the morning or evening.  I like to use floating line, and an 8' leader.  i spread the split shot out, using a couple bb and 3/0 lead shot.   Sometimes you can trigger the fish by twitching the streamer during the swing

trapper2000

« Reply #827 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:34 PM »
bigred  we  should  hook up  sometime  !   migght  be  a  couple  weeks    i  have  Tendinitis  right  now   so   as  i learned  today  my  flycasting  may   be  affected  a  bit  lol   but  i  should  be  back  to  nnormal    soon

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #828 on: Dec 01, 2011, 03:13 PM »
bigred  we  should  hook up  sometime  !   migght  be  a  couple  weeks    i  have  Tendinitis  right  now   so   as  i learned  today  my  flycasting  may   be  affected  a  bit  lol   but  i  should  be  back  to  nnormal    soon

sounds like a plan! I am shooting to make another run up there sometime between now and safe ice...one of the next three weekends...REALLY want to get up there this weekend, but the freezer is empy again, I need more Venison...

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #829 on: Dec 01, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Hey here's a question for you fly guys:  If you're swinging flies across a channel, do you prefer the egg patterns or streamer-type flies? 

I'm new to fly fishing and have really been getting into it - looking forward to learning to tie my own sometime soon, probably over the winter. 

This was my first full season fishing flies for steelhead on the Salmon River, and I spent most of it swinging egg patterns because that seems to be the convention.  But I question how effective it is to fish egg patterns without a natural drift downstream (i.e. swinging them)...never had any luck doing this, and it seems like lots of guys kill the steelhead using centerpin or bottom-bouncing rigs that allow a more natural drift.  Which of course you can't really do with a skagit/spey setup with poly leader....  So this past weekend I fished only streamers because I thought these flies provide a better presentation given the technique...things like egg sucking leaches, big buggers, sculpins, other funky streamers. 

At one point after swinging all sorts of egg patterns and mixing in a couple nymphs, I tied on a chartreuse body/orange head egg sucking leach and a steelie nailed it just a couple seconds after it hit the water.  Same water I had made maybe 20 previous casts to...no doubt that the fly had something to do with it.  First steelhead for me, so it was pretty rewarding given all the time and learning I've put in on the river! 

I guess my question is:  I want to begin tying my own and will be doing this soon - would it be better to learn to tie streamer/spey flies if I will be fishing a skagit or spey setup?  I definitely want to focus my ties and fishing on what's most effective...any advice from the guys out there???
Egg sucking leeches and wooly buggers or scud when their eatin those
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

KingPerch

« Reply #830 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:33 PM »
:nono: :nono:
Must suck living in a perfect world all the time....give the kid a break!!   Where has RG been hiding?? :whistling: probably in his bucket truck!! ;D--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #831 on: Dec 02, 2011, 01:41 AM »
I'm around ;D
Sure wish I could find a perch somewhere :whistling:

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Special Ed

« Reply #832 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:55 AM »
I'm around ;D

RG
Northeast side of Seneca Lake in front of Reeders Creek has been good lately when the wind is fishable.    :whistling: :whistling:

shark

« Reply #833 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:26 AM »
I'm around ;D

RG
 LOOK IN YOUR SINK  ;D ;D

Dang thing's empty again Mark...have to do sumtin bout dat......whoa! I better watch my spellin....the editors will attack.
RG

Special Ed

« Reply #834 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Must suck living in a perfect world all the time....give the kid a break!!   Where has RG been hiding?? :whistling: probably in his bucket truck!! ;D--KP
By 9 years old, every kid who goes to school should know the difference between their, they're and there and know when and where to use each.    Keep giving kids breaks and they'll end up on Wall St protesting while still trying to figure out why all of their "Participation" trophies, "atta boy" awards and all the years of ego boosting praise from moms and dads means NOTHING !::)
  Nip it in the bud !   

trapper2000

« Reply #835 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:37 AM »
the  boy  was  right !!!!   

then  again  KP  jr   is  a  real  fisherman    ...............  and  a  real  sportsman  , he  already  trys  to  help  others  out     and  never  LIES  about  other  people  ......  lil  KP   like  yer   dad   your  welcome  to   cast  a  line  with  me  anytime  :thumbup_smilie:

KingPerch

« Reply #836 on: Dec 02, 2011, 01:41 PM »
By 9 years old, every kid who goes to school should know the difference between their, they're and there and know when and where to use each.    Keep giving kids breaks and they'll end up on Wall St protesting while still trying to figure out why all of their "Participation" trophies, "atta boy" awards and all the years of ego boosting praise from moms and dads means NOTHING !::)
  Nip it in the bud !   
Sounds like you needed a few more "ATTA BOYS" and hugs when you were a kid!! Kindly leave my son out of your NUANCES!! I care  greatly about who disrespects my children! Go find another site to give your spelling education to! I speak not only for myself! ;) I wonder how many times you would spell things incorrectly, if SPELL CHECK wasn't available!! My son is older than 9 years old....and seems to have alot more class than you would ever think of having!! END OF STORY!!--KP ;) 

To the mods...I'll take my timeout like a man!!

Trapper, Jr. and I are ready to fish...anytime!! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #837 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Let me tell you something about KP JR. This is one of the nicest, smartest youngsters I've had the pleasure to meet in my life. He's intelligent, articulate, affable and a d**n good fly fisher. An Honor student as well If I'm not mistaken. He's the product of a fine family environment with good parents who love and support him.

Don't be taking shots at people you know nothing about. You'd be embarrassed if you actually spent some time with them.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #838 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:37 PM »
  Nip it in the bud !   
let me get this right. you are busting on this Kid because he spelled their wrong in a post ??? Boy you must be one Hell of a teacher in your school with the kids you supposedly teach. lay off and go find something useful to do on another site someplace. we do not need people like you on here starting crap. you want to see miss spelled words watch what me and FM post later at night. get real dude >:(

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #839 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Let me tell you something about KP JR. This is one of the nicest, smartest youngsters I've had the pleasure to meet in my life. He's intelligent, articulate, affable and a d**n good fly fisher. An Honor student as well If I'm not mistaken. He's the product of a fine family environment with good parents who love and support him.

Don't be taking shots at people you know nothing about. You'd be embarrassed if you actually spent some time with them.

RG
Why thank you RG, Thanks alot for the compliments and yes by the way i am a Honor Student! "If you aint got nothin good to say dont say anything at all!!"
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.