FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 624062 times)

Dark Cloud

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #975 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Im kinda torn on the blank thing... If i didnt have gift certs, I wouldnt be even looking. I need to be buying diapers not gear.  ;D Just found out at the ultrasound - looks like a girl and a boy!!!
But Mudhole dont sell diapers, strollers, or bottles...

Have been doing some research and Sages new ESN series really cought my eye. And last year I casted thier ZXL rods and it is "traditional" in action. The prices are high but they are sweet sticks!
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #976 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:00 PM »
One of each and all at once...congratulations! That'll keep you out of trouble ;D

Sage makes a nice blank for sure.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #977 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:42 PM »
A couple more woven flies.

It's been a busy bench lately ;D

What have y'all been tying up for the spring?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oneidawalleye

« Reply #978 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Some nice trout caught and released by a good friend of mine Dr. Richard Carroll who has a summer residence with 200' of river frontage on the West Branch of the Delaware River near Deposit, N.Y.

Caught on a #18 Sulphur last summer

Mid April Fishing below Cannonsville Reservoir Spring 2011

The Duke of Esox

« Reply #979 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:53 PM »
RG, those are some beautiful woven flies.  I got myself a Danvise about a month ago and have been pretty busy tying some basic flies...wooly buggers, scuds and nymphs, a few streamers.  Only complaint is that I have tightened it too much a couple times and ended up striping a knob trying to release the fly.  My camera is broken but would like to post a couple pics soon and hopefully you guys out there can provide some advice on what I can improve. 

So my table and entire dining room have already been taken over by fly materials...I think a small feather just floated by haha.  Can't say I wasn't warned.  Take care all---

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #980 on: Feb 25, 2012, 01:47 AM »
Re-read the instructions for your vise. When you set the jaw tension by turning the adjustment knob the cam should close to about 1/2 way before it begins to tighten with the hook in the jaws. The adjustment between a #2 1nd #12 hook is very slight. Maybe 1/4 turn.  Those jaws hold like crazy. My only complaints are that sometimes I would like to change the angle of the jaws to a more vertical attitude and I wish the main mounting shaft was hardened steel rather than carlon. It's more than adequate for most flies. But when I get to putting some serious tension on the thread it does tend to move around.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday tidying up my bench. It looked like a grenade went off.  Materials storage is a definite problem. I don't have an answer. Every time I think I have it under control, a new batch of stuff appears on my bench for some new pattern.

Try some woven flies. They're pretty easy if you're patient.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #981 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:22 PM »
A couple more woven flies.

It's been a busy bench lately ;D

What have y'all been tying up for the spring?

RG
RG, You never cease to amaze me my friend!! Great looking flies!! JR. and I are almost finished with ice fishing and sports for the rest of winter, the flydesk will be a mess before too long!!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #982 on: Feb 25, 2012, 12:47 PM »
I figured you two were busy, busy, busy. I'm looking forward to another crack at those smallies in the river.

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #983 on: Feb 26, 2012, 01:03 PM »
My bride will have your room ready!! ;) Josh and I are both looking for smallie fishing again as well!! Josh has a birthday tomorrow...14 years old! Man, time flies by doesn't it?! :-\ Gotta lot of years ahead though, looking forward to them all!! ;) Titelines with dry flies!!

Life is good!!--KP 8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #984 on: Feb 26, 2012, 01:41 PM »
It only gets better and better Larry. Take my word for it ;D
I just talked to my Daughter. They're moving back here in July. I was putting the new seat pedestal in the boat today for my Grandson. I'll have a fishing buddy this summer :clapping:

Happy Birthday Josh! Keep your eye on the mail next week ;)

RG

KingPerch

« Reply #985 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:58 AM »
That's great news Bob!! Glad to hear your family is moving back home! Looks like Grandpa is going to be busy!!! ;)

Life is Good!!--KP 8)

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #986 on: Feb 27, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Thanks Bob! Looking forward to it! And also looking forward to fishing with you soon!-- Josh
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #987 on: Feb 27, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Won't be long now bud ;D

RG

KingPerch Jr.

• SOCCER: Gotta love it!!
« Reply #988 on: Mar 03, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Won't be long now bud ;D

RG
No it won't!!
Red Sox!
Bartel Road Bait and Tackle

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #989 on: Mar 03, 2012, 03:21 PM »
rgfixit....last year you mentioned that when the sheephead are in Oak Orchard Creek its non-stop action.  Sounds like fun to me.  Could you post some photos of the flies you use?  Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.