FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 624052 times)

OTIS

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1200 on: Aug 10, 2012, 06:46 AM »
Great looking jigs Jay!  Old Timer dropped off a barumba mold, and I made a few up.  I'll have to get on them and spin some into jigs.

Let me know once the little ones get their sea legs, the pontoon is great for kids.  It's like a playpen you can fish from!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1201 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:10 AM »
Great looking jigs Jay!  Old Timer dropped off a barumba mold, and I made a few up.  I'll have to get on them and spin some into jigs.

Let me know once the little ones get their sea legs, the pontoon is great for kids.  It's like a playpen you can fish from!

I will take you up on that toon offer when the time comes.  8)
The son of the original barumba maker lives down by me. Great guy who still ties and sells up on the lake and around. Was over there last week picking up heads. His dad could tie and paint like a machine.
That head comes through the water as good or better than any. I still say the weights are off though. What is called 1/2oz is more like a light 3/8 on the original single pour molds. Im going to have to go over my buddys who has an arrow scale and see whats up..
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1202 on: Aug 10, 2012, 02:59 PM »
Send me a few...I'll weigh them for you ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doorbreaker

« Reply #1203 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:16 PM »
I will take you up on that toon offer when the time comes.  8)
The son of the original barumba maker lives down by me. Great guy who still ties and sells up on the lake and around. Was over there last week picking up heads. His dad could tie and paint like a machine.
That head comes through the water as good or better than any. I still say the weights are off though. What is called 1/2oz is more like a light 3/8 on the original single pour molds. Im going to have to go over my buddys who has an arrow scale and see whats up..

Could it be that the new ones are tin instead of lead? I have been scrounging more lead from tire places and even picked up some recovered shot from a local club.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1204 on: Aug 10, 2012, 08:56 PM »
Send me a few...I'll weigh them for you ;D

RG

Im not an enabler...  ::)

Could it be that the new ones are tin instead of lead? I have been scrounging more lead from tire places and even picked up some recovered shot from a local club.

Nah, it is thier size that aint right. They would have to be tungsten to weigh a true 1/2oz...  8)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1205 on: Aug 30, 2012, 05:58 PM »
late  summer  hoppers  crickets  and bee's  oh my  ...hopper  crickets and bees  oh my   ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1206 on: Aug 30, 2012, 08:31 PM »
TRAPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice to have you back on here.
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1207 on: Aug 31, 2012, 02:54 PM »
ggod  to  be  back  and  just in time  for  the  late summer  smack  down ....b  fish onnnnnnnn
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Lunch_Box

« Reply #1208 on: Aug 31, 2012, 09:07 PM »

Barumba mold??! Could someone post a picture of this mold or it's final product? I have never heard of this and it has sparked my interest.
"livin the dream"

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1209 on: Aug 31, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Barumba mold??! Could someone post a picture of this mold or it's final product? I have never heard of this and it has sparked my interest.

A guy on Oneida lake many many moons ago had a machinist friend make some jig molds. Some stuck as great designs. One called the barumba was particularly popular starting I believe in the early 80's we started fishing them in the late 80's.
It is basically a wedge head design. Kinda like the modern "walleye" head but more tapered. It comes through the water great and has nice area for eyes.
The original gentelman, John Wirth has since passed on. His son lives down by us but still ties and supplies shops on the lake and around...

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #1210 on: Aug 31, 2012, 10:19 PM »
he was known as "Jigger John". he also had the patend of the foot ball head jig ;) back in the day and even now that was the go to jig heads for Eyes. i had the pleasure of talking with the man many times over the years. ;D

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1211 on: Aug 31, 2012, 10:33 PM »
I did also HT, he had quite the set-up for pumping out jigs. Hard dealing with all the smoke in there though.  :sick:

Lunch_Box

« Reply #1212 on: Aug 31, 2012, 11:59 PM »
Thanks DC, can you still get these molds anywhere??
"livin the dream"

Dark Cloud

« Reply #1213 on: Sep 01, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Thanks DC, can you still get these molds anywhere??

They were never made for sale... I know one guy on Oneida has a set and Johns son has one or two. Dont know if any others are out there... doubt it.

Lunch_Box

« Reply #1214 on: Sep 01, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Gotcha, thanks for the info DC.
"livin the dream"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.