FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 516351 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3450 on: May 29, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Hope you guys have good drainage with the rain we been getting yesterday, today, and over the past month or so.

Or, I hope you’re growing rice.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3451 on: May 29, 2020, 04:26 PM »
We've had some rain but, not too much. Everything is growing just fine.....including the lawns. Mowing about every 4 days right now. Some days I'd rather shovel snow.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Pequod1

« Reply #3452 on: May 29, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Seamonkey, blackberries that I grew once were spindly and spread too much.  I don’t know how that would work in a raised bed along a driveways. Have you considered blueberries? I’m sure they would be easier to maintain and they grow well in your area.

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #3453 on: May 29, 2020, 05:10 PM »
I lost my beehives over the winter. My dad graciously gave me 3 frames and a queen to start a new colony this week. My garden will definitely be improved by it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3454 on: May 29, 2020, 05:29 PM »
No native bees around you?  Not that hives aren't good. Honey is a real bonus.

My Son works on a small apple farm near here. Only 35,000 trees or so. They have bee keepers bring in hives every year. They get the honey, the farm gets the apples.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Beekeeper1099

« Reply #3455 on: May 29, 2020, 05:43 PM »
Native bees are around but I have had honeybees for 15 years. My garden excels when my hives are active. I love just messing around with the bees. Their social structure is fascinating. I only eat honey when I'm extracting. I give most of it away.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3456 on: May 29, 2020, 06:06 PM »
That Sir, is a thing of beauty! 😍😍😍

Yeah, I will never be able to post a picture of mine ever again............. 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #3457 on: May 29, 2020, 06:30 PM »
   Yeah, I will never be able to post a picture of mine ever again............. 8)
Mine pales in comparison as well ....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3458 on: May 29, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Pot of gold at the end of my rainbow.

Double rainbow.

Rg

seamonkey84

« Reply #3459 on: May 29, 2020, 10:34 PM »
Thanks for the compliments.  Seamonkey, blackberries that I grew once were spindly and spread too much.  I don’t know how that would work in a raised bed along a driveways. Have you considered blueberries? I’m sure they would be easier to maintain and they grow well in your area.
I do have a few blueberry I just started, two bare root that I put into the one small patch of dirt I have, though I didn’t test the ph so fingers crossed. I also got one dwarf blueberry Bush and a dwarf raspberry that I’m going to grow in a container.  The blackberries I’m getting are a thornless, erect cane variety, so they should stand up on their own without putting up supports. But I can build those in too.
 This is kind of a hobby To go with my wine/mead making hobby. At some point, If I can get enough berries to make one A batch or two, it’ll be worth it lol. Like tying your own flies. Plus I have hopes of getting berries of different colors. I currently have on order white strawberries, white blackberry, pink blueberry and two other blackberry strains. Still looking for the dwarf blackberry to be available somewhere, and I still need to find a yellow/gold Raspberry (or white if it’s available). They are scheduled to ship in August  >:( kind of late in the season, but at least they have chance to grow good roots before fall/winter.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Pequod1

« Reply #3460 on: May 30, 2020, 03:10 AM »
Wow, you area berrymaniac ;D.  I have a U Pick around the corner from me that is very good and cheap.  Seems that squirrels and birds got most of the berries and fruit I grow.  Everything has to be caged and netted.  I planted some blueberries and built a big trellis yesterday.  I intend to trellis the zucchini and baby watermelon.  That will be a first for me.  Today is fishing day! Panfish beware.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3461 on: May 30, 2020, 07:12 AM »
Wow, you area berrymaniac ;D.  I have a U Pick around the corner from me that is very good and cheap.  Seems that squirrels and birds got most of the berries and fruit I grow.  Everything has to be caged and netted.
Yea the cage was part of my plan, we tried growing strawberries a couple years ago and it didn’t work out. Yes I’m a bit focused on berries. my favorite mead recipe is a blend of Strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, and black currant. I’m not allowed to grow currants in Maine, or I would be trying that too.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #3462 on: May 30, 2020, 08:21 AM »

Almost got it all in
Very nice! Great backyard too!!

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3463 on: May 30, 2020, 08:29 AM »

Almost got it all in

You know your garden is awesome when you need to take an areal photo to show people!

Looks great, happy gardening!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3464 on: May 30, 2020, 08:30 AM »
Lots of TLC right there. Very pretty gardens.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.