FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: res/lake wilmington vt  (Read 3612 times)

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
res/lake wilmington vt
« on: Jul 20, 2004, 03:46 PM »
just wondering if there are any locals here (i am from NY) that are familiar with this lake or resevoir! i am going to be in vermont for the weekend of  6th-8th of august and already rented a 15ft tracker from high country! was wondering if anyone can give me any good tips on whats in this lake/res wheres good places on the lake to fish and whats been being caught lately? i kinda figure all i'll be catching is bass, but some eyes or pike would be cool too! i am only going to be day fishing, got the boat from 10am til 4 pm. and from the looks of this little hand drawn map i printed.... i think i will be fishing close to a place called "the ledges", it has a special marking on it that im not sure i can mention here!
cant wait to hear from someone, hope some of you locals can help me out! thanks in advance!

jf5

Re: res/lake wilmington vt
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2004, 04:09 PM »
Are you reffering to Harriman Reservoir??

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2004, 10:36 PM »
yes indeed, that is the name of the place! can ya help me? since the post i have learned the species of the lake after some intense searching. found them to be rainbow and brown trout, landlocked salmon, panfish, perch, pickerel and smallmouth bass.... any others you know of that i missed and also the other questions in previous post.....THANKS!

jf5

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2004, 09:22 AM »
Its not too bad of a place if you have a boat. There are allot of waterskiers and jetsies and all that to contend with though.

There are a lot of Smallmouths to catch, and tons of mid sized perch and rock bass to catch. The lake does posses some nice browns that reach 5-6lbs, but they are tough. The salmon fishing is not that good. There are a decent number of fish, but the size is limited and very few fish break the 15 inch legal mark. The state does stock lake trout as a put & grow propostion and some of the fish are showing up in the 5 lb area. There are also some stocked rainbows and brookies.  The brookies can be large by brookie standards as they seem to get fat in the lake, but there is not alot of them though. Pickeral are huge but are extrememly rare. Its not really pickeral water.

The reservoirs western shore is closer to original river channel, so there is a better drop off there. The south end by the dam has the deepest hole and is probably the best bet for lakers. Off course you are restrcted as to how close you can get to the dam.

Hope this helps!! Please let us know how you do.   

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2004, 11:54 AM »
thanks for the info, any little bits help! i fugured i was pretty much just gonna be drowning worms for the day... but i will play with the bass and some perch/panfish as well! i am renting one of the trackers from high country on rte 9 and i think they are equipped with fish/depth finders and trolling motors as well! now if can just find bait nearby...lol! thanks for the help, i will let ya know... not going till august 6th and be back on the 8th!

jf5

« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2004, 12:35 PM »
hey, you're welcome.  I am sure you could get some live bait (minnows) at nearby Brattleboro. CLosest place I know is in Vernon, which can be a hike. Every convience store sells crawlers though.

Dropping free lined cralwers along the deep holes might pay off. I f you do have electronics, that will be helpful !!

We'll look for the report in August...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.