FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spanked levelwind pawl.  (Read 4126 times)

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
Spanked levelwind pawl.
« on: Apr 16, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Ok guys im pretty irritated and am looking for opinions. last spring i bought a new reel, a shimano cardiff 400a. sweetest reel ive owned. cast like a dream, and i could really grind down on fish (or snags) without any issues. it also worked for more finesse-like presentations. A vary versatile reel for its size. Now this spring, i realized the levelwind pawl is totally shot. I paid almost $120 for this thing, and to have that part wear out after one season?! My buddy has a cheapo low profile thats going on its 4th season and probably  1000 bass. and a few pike here and there, without so much as a squeak. So, is my reel just a lemon, or is 1 season the lifespan of those parts?
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

OTIS

Re: Spanked levelwind pawl.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2013, 09:53 AM »
I'd contact Shimano asap and see what they are willing to do for you.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I'd contact Shimano asap and see what they are willing to do for you.
I found the part on mikes reel repair, and its a $6 part, with $10 shipping. I just thought a "high quality" reel shouldnt be needing parts replaced after 1 season.

><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2013, 12:08 PM »
That depends on how you used it. The pawl and worm gear are open to the elements and easily pick up dirt and dust. Its not uncommon for pawls to wear out because of that, and the worm gear as well. I used to have a reel repair business and have replaced many. Baitcasters don't like sand.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2013, 01:08 PM »
That depends on how you used it. The pawl and worm gear are open to the elements and easily pick up dirt and dust. Its not uncommon for pawls to wear out because of that, and the worm gear as well. I used to have a reel repair business and have replaced many. Baitcasters don't like sand.
It has a "Non-disengaging" levelwind, so it moves 2x as much as a standard on would have to. could that be part of the problem?

esox_xtm

• It's SHOWTIME!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:57 PM »

I'd totally agree with this. Sand, dirt, salt, any kind of grit are "4377" on levelwinds. That said I own a number of ABU 5/6000 series reels with the "non-disengaging" levelwind. I keep them clean and oiled, fish 'em really hard for muskies and replace a pawl only once in a while, usually 5-6 years.

I do teardowns and cleaning twice a season and keep 'em well oiled in between. I prefer my own lube mix of Break Free and ATF, 50/50. Not a particularly long lasting oil, but pretty fast and not prone to gum or keep grit in the mix.

/m

Not Fish???      Not an Option!!!                                                                  Go Packers !!! 

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I'd totally agree with this. Sand, dirt, salt, any kind of grit are "4377" on levelwinds. That said I own a number of ABU 5/6000 series reels with the "non-disengaging" levelwind. I keep them clean and oiled, fish 'em really hard for muskies and replace a pawl only once in a while, usually 5-6 years.

I do teardowns and cleaning twice a season and keep 'em well oiled in between. I prefer my own lube mix of Break Free and ATF, 50/50. Not a particularly long lasting oil, but pretty fast and not prone to gum or keep grit in the mix.

/m
Ok, so once i get the part replaced, i guess ill make sure to keep that thing good and clean. Thanks for the info guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.