FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looking for a first time baitcasting reel  (Read 11032 times)

Proud Papa

Looking for a first time baitcasting reel
« on: Jun 12, 2013, 06:35 PM »
I'm 53 years old and have been fishing my entire life, but I've never used a baitcasting reel.  In short, I know next to nothing about them.
I've been told they're great for big fish and see serious anglers using them quite a bit; therefore, I figure they're worth looking into.  
I know they're prone to backlash in the hands of an inexperienced angler, but I've also been told if you buy a quality reel they're far less prone to do that.  A friend recommended the Revo but it's way too pricey for a first time baitcaster - at least until I figure out if I like them.  
Any chance someone can recommend a decent baitcaster that won't break the bank?  

mr tip up

Re: Looking for a first time baitcasting reel
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2013, 07:16 PM »
look at bass pro shop catalog or on line  theres lots of different baitcast reels   of all prices  remember you get what you pay for
a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2013, 01:03 AM »
The bass pro shop pro qualifier is a solid started reel or the shimano caenan. Mr tip up is right you do get what you pay for. How much of a budget do you have?

Proud Papa

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2013, 07:32 AM »
The bass pro shop pro qualifier is a solid started reel or the shimano caenan. Mr tip up is right you do get what you pay for. How much of a budget do you have?

I have a $300 Bass Pro gift card, but but would rather not spend it all on a reel. 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2013, 08:12 AM »
I would be looking at low profile style reels, with a magnetic dial type casting drag (easiest to control).  And wouldn't you know it, they happen to be on sale right now

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-LowProfile-Baitcast-Reels/product/11092105011121/

I would also recommend getting a reel with a handle on the same side as you use with a spinning reel.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I would also consider the bps Johnny Morris carbonlite. They have it on sale for $109. The reel cast a mile and is pretty easy to dial in. I'd get a reel in a 6.3:1 ratio they are fairly well rounded

nightbird

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13, 2013, 11:30 PM »
American Legacy Fishing has Daiwa Megaforce THS for 49.95(1/2price), free shipping.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2013, 07:43 AM »
American Legacy Fishing has Daiwa Megaforce THS for 49.95(1/2price), free shipping.

On the whole, Diawa's casting reels are good, but graphite framed casting reels by any manufacturer are a complete no go for me.   I've broken too many graphite casting reel frames.   Friend of mine almost lost some teeth when one broke on him.  they also flex when under a HEAVY load (big fish/braided line)

icemole

« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2013, 08:30 AM »
 If possible go to a real tackle shop - being able to hold a couple of models + ask questions(to people who know the products-not sales clerks) is well worth the little bit higher price tag(not always). We often put a package deal together at the shop I used to work at rod, reel + line at less than all three on their own. The second piece of advise is after you make your purchase is go to a ballfield and practice.  Once your thumb gets educated to throwing a couple of different weights(without readjusting the reel every time) you're good to go. (We also took our customers out in the parking lot for a little one on one.) I learned in the old days when you cast with your Rt hand then switched over to holding with your Lt hand reeling with the Rt.(the right way ;D) I still get the dreaded birdsnest on occasion so don't give up.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2013, 12:27 PM »
I know the bps by me has lined reels you can test out. Cast away with them and get em all backlashed up and walk away. Haha

chez

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2013, 07:27 AM »
i jUST GOT A NEW BIONIC BLADE WITH A LIGUNA REEL.  7'mh. GREAT SET UP. GOING TO BUY A SECOND SETUP JUST LIKE IT.30LB BRAID .Can cast the lures a country mile. Great price too.I would recomend it to pro or beginner.GOOD LUCK.BROTHER.

kamaro

« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2013, 08:07 PM »
SHIMANO CALLISTO is the best price and the best beginner reel I have ever used .... it has a dial on the side that goes from 1 to 10 where 1 is like almost free spool and 10 is full break ..

when you get your lure weight set you start at 10 and go lower till you can cast it at a good distance but you don't get the backlash....  sure you still get them now and again but for under 100 bucks for a rod reel combo you wont be as mad when you have to pull it out as you would with a 200 dollar reel

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2013, 03:11 AM »
The dial on the sideplate should be your magnetic brakes. The one to loosen the spool should be a small knob above the star drag.

joefish1

« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2013, 05:04 AM »
If you are used to using a spinning reel and are right handed try a left handed bait casting reel out.  It just seems real dumb to me to have to cast  out and have to switch hands to reel in.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2013, 03:16 AM »
Left handed is the way to go  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.