FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Night crawlers  (Read 2643 times)

MILLERMANKT

Night crawlers
« on: Mar 31, 2023, 09:25 PM »
Do many of you order have good luck ordering nightcrawlers in bulk online and keeping them alive ?  I'm debating if it's just as easy to buy a few dozen at walmart when i go out

fish/hunt4ever

Re: Night crawlers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2023, 10:23 PM »
I have the keep cool bait holder and love it as I can keep about 6 or so dozen nightcrawlers alive for weeks in the fridge, usually catch them out of the yard and garden, but spring I buy some from a local shop and use the worm bedding and put the feed in them about once a week. Then fall comes around I go hunting and forget about them for a few weeks and then lose them all from neglect. So cannot answer the question about ordering online but know you can keep them alive if you want to. Always thought about getting a bathtub and set up a bin to hold a bunch of worms but the yard works great.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2023, 05:54 AM »
I worked at a bait shop and we got flats of 500, then had to pack them for sale. We would sell full or half flats to guys at a lower price than they could buy them by the dozen. Keeping your own on hand can become a pain but it can be worth it if you do a lot of fishing. I know last year they were selling for 3.49 to $4.00 a dozen around here....h2l

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2023, 07:51 AM »
Picking your own at night is still the sheapest.
 8)

I have bought from here (link below) many times, and they always arrive in great shape.
Lots of tips on their website on keeping them.
I had a beer and worm fridge outside at our place on Lake Erie.
My buddies out there were always welcome to the worms, and the beers if they were nice.
They kept lively all summer.
Leftovers in the Fall went into the garden, which promotes better growing soil for the veggies.

https://www.canadiannightcrawlers.com/

catfisher

• Born to fish
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2023, 09:01 AM »
  Mac, Check the link. Says can not ship anymore.

skinny40

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2023, 09:58 AM »
Like Mac said. Pick your own. And here in Mac's old stomping grounds before he deserted us for the sunshine, the earth worms breed when the ground hits above 60 and it rains I'll collect several pounds of them in one night off the road and parking lots around me. Put them in worm keepers in the fridge and if the dampness is good they will live till I use them trolling for walleye or jigging up bluegill.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2023, 10:55 AM »
  Mac, Check the link. Says can not ship anymore.

Yea, I saw that after posting the link.
Call them or email.
Maybe the notice on the website hasn’t been updated.
I didn’t order last year from them.
Maybe it was a covid thing???

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2023, 12:57 PM »
Put up a pound or so this morning. I use a plastic tote that’s about 8” deep x 12” wide x 24” long….or thereabouts. Drilled small holes in the top and fill it with leaf mulch from the garden. They keep on the basement floor for a few months as long as I check them every now and again and remove any dead ones. I’ll feed them some corn meal every so often and add more mulch.

Been keeping them like this for many years.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2023, 02:44 PM »
I did that a buncha years back Bob.
They got out though.
Squeezed right through that tiny gap between the cover and tote.  It had latches too!
I had worms all over the basement.
Donna said no more worms in the house.
We found dead dried worms everywhere for like 2 yrs.
They got out in my refrigerator at the lake too.  All over the inside.  A few actually squeezed between the door seal and fridge too!
Never figured out why the wanted to escape.  Crazy!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2023, 03:36 PM »
Well, I guess my worms are better behaved. Never had an escapee.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2023, 04:40 PM »
Bob I think the sun is getting to Mac..😎
I use styrofoam coolers from honey baked ham and fill it as you say and keep it in the cool part of my basement..And you can put holes in the top..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

gotagetm

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2023, 05:53 PM »
I use a Walmart soft sided lunch box with a removable hard plastic insert with a velcro latch I use ripped up dampened newspaper and keep in fridge and works great ,we actually dumped crawlers on a warm day in January that had been in it since early fall and they were still fine

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2023, 10:35 PM »
Picking them myself isn't really an option anymore because of my neuropathy and having a mini stroke. My balance is horrible and the tremors in my hands doesn't help either. Maybe I'll talk to some of the neighbor's kids

filetandrelease

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2023, 06:11 AM »

Miller i understand  , I was very lucky after 2
 Back when I still used worms , worm container and feed from magic co. with  buss-Bed-ding kept in frig

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2023, 10:10 AM »
I worked at a bait shop and we got flats of 500, then had to pack them for sale. We would sell full or half flats to guys at a lower price than they could buy them by the dozen. Keeping your own on hand can become a pain but it can be worth it if you do a lot of fishing. I know last year they were selling for 3.49 to $4.00 a dozen around here....h2l

I just hate that black soil the bait stores around here put them in. It sticks to my hands and gets on my pants. When I used to use a lot of night crawlers I would switch them over to a commercial bedding that is less messy.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.