FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new to carp? use kit you already own to catch em!  (Read 7516 times)

stoph

new to carp? use kit you already own to catch em!
« on: Mar 03, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Hey all, where to sart...o.k im from the u.k, i've been in canada for almost 4yrs. I have been carp fishing since i was 7 or so, i'm now 31. I'm new to the forum here, came over from the shanty.
 I'm not a carp only guy, england has no bass, walleye, muskie, ice fishing or decent spring/fall salmonoid runs, i LOVE to fish for all species and am constantly on the hunt for true trophys of all fish species. Carp only take up a small % of my fishing time, i do however know a fair amount on how to catch them!
 I've taken 5 of my hardcore cnadian fishing buds out carping, none of them had tried seriously before, all of them are converts and are always hassling me about going out again! Theres nothing quite like the look on a fishermans face as they try to control thier first 20lb carp, the smile for the pics is ALWAYS huge!
 The largest and single greatest evolution in carping is without a doubt the hair rig, carp were deemed 'uncatchable' by the masses up until the 70's when kevin madocks and len middleton came up with the concept of the hair. I see that ead ,rg and buzzbomb (i recognise a couple of you from the cag) have already covered the hair rather well on here so all i will add is this. The knotless knot is as easy to tie as say a ploymer or simple clinch, after your first 3 attempts you will be whipping them out like pro's! To tie hairs with stuff you prob already own, use size 6 or 8 roe bag hooks and 10-20lb fluro (braid and mono will work but both float, i want my hooklength to sink) finish them off with a high quality swivel and your good to go.
 The bolt rig coupled with a hair is deadly. A bolt rig is designed around a carps feeding habits and shy nature. Carp will suck thier food from the bottom ejecting what they don't want, doughballs on trebles ere ejected swiftly and the most you will get is a rod or line twitch and no fish. (don't get me wrong, you will still catch a few carp in this way, but believe me you are missing most!) The bolt rig involves using a fairly heavy lead 2.5-3.5 oz usually, its fished as a fixed rig, meaning the line will not slide  throgh the lead. As a fish sucks up a hair-rigged bait of bottom it will take the bait to the back of its throat for crushing, at this point the carp will feel all that weight, it will freak out the fish and they will try to eject your bait and swim off at speed, the unubstruckted hook will catch in the bottom lip (more than 90% of times anyway!) and as the fish takes off the weight will set the hook for you! all you need to do is notice that line is peeling and lift up into the fish, no hook set required! To rig a simple bolt rig with exsisting kit you will...
 1) tie a knotless knot hair rig with a 6-12" hooklenghth to a good swivel
 2) slide a sinker (2.5-3.5oz) onto your mainline
 3) add a bead between lead and swivel to protect your knot
 4) tie on the hooklenth swivel
 5) place a splitshot or bobber stop tight to the lead to ceate a 'fixed' rig (don't pinch it on too tight, if you loose a fish we want the fish to be left trailing only a hook + a little line, not be stuck dragging 3.5 oz of lead around in a death rig!)

When fishing bolt rigs it is increadibly important for the fish to be able to easily take line without dragging your rod and reel into the drink! Us euros use a baitrunner reel for this, you prob don't have one so either have your drag set waaaaay light, or use the rubber band trick.   Put a rubber band around your rod a couple inches up from your reel, cast out and reel in just a bit to straighten everything out in the water. Put the rod in some sort of holder (a wooden y branch is fine, just make sure fishface can pull line and its not trapped under the rod) open the bail and clip the line into the rubber band, when a fish hits it will pop out and allow the fish to run with no resistace (and stops falling off the spool from the wind etc while you wait!)
 I warn you now bolt rig runs are insane, you prob won't get any twitches or warning. You will go from peace and quiet wondering if theres any fish around to having line suddenly start peeling out like you've hooked a freight train! carp are heavy and like to keep thier heads down, you have been warned!
 For the fish's sake please handle carp wisely, if you are c&r-ing please don't pick carp up by the gills, they are way to heavy for that and you will damage them, support them from underneath and hold them horizontal for pics etc. when releasing hold them upright in the water for a while until they have recovered and will swim off on thier own (they often give you a loving splash in the face!)
 I'm gonna leave it there for now (its a freakin essay already!) but i'll be back. I'm still in ice mode right now, but you can be sure that in the next couple of weeks i'll be preparing some baits and feeding up a couple of local hotspots, spring/ early summer is my fave time to target carp and also happens to be the best time of year for beating p.b's (fat egg laden pigs!)
 Remember one mans trash is anothers treasure, theres untapped gold in these here waters!

Corporal Punishment

Re: new to carp? use kit you already own to catch em!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2010, 02:15 PM »
WOW you make carp fishing look complicated!!!!! ;D

Chum corn-meal and jello balls for a day or 2.go back and use a treble with the same flavor doby balls and slaughter them!!!!!!Easy pickens....... ;)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2010, 02:42 PM »
I like to do my carp fishing with a Bow and Arrows..... ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

stoph

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:03 PM »
thanks cp, i appreciate the responce. I have no doubt you catch many carp on doughballs and trebles, and if thats all you want for the occasional carp session and your happy with that, then why bother with a new aproach? i understand, no big deal.
 My post was an overly long winded way of highlighting what is basically just one 'new' knot, and a slightly different approach to something you already do, by the sounds of it well. ;D
 I'm not really aiming this at anglers with a local carp hole teeming with easy fish, more to those who have seen carp at a local spot and tried the usual chit with no luck...
 Its perfectly acceptible to go ice fishing with a spool of line some hooks, splitshot and a bucket of minnows, sure you'll probably catch some fish too, good! but going ice fishing with a flasher WILL increase your catches almost imeasurably, the difference is night and day. ;)

pikeking

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2010, 03:33 AM »
thanks cp, i appreciate the responce. I have no doubt you catch many carp on doughballs and trebles, and if thats all you want for the occasional carp session and your happy with that, then why bother with a new aproach? i understand, no big deal.
 My post was an overly long winded way of highlighting what is basically just one 'new' knot, and a slightly different approach to something you already do, by the sounds of it well. ;D
 I'm not really aiming this at anglers with a local carp hole teeming with easy fish, more to those who have seen carp at a local spot and tried the usual chit with no luck...
 Its perfectly acceptible to go ice fishing with a spool of line some hooks, splitshot and a bucket of minnows, sure you'll probably catch some fish too, good! but going ice fishing with a flasher WILL increase your catches almost imeasurably, the difference is night and day. ;)

Well, I myself have been fishing Carp for a while now and I thought the egg sinker sliding on the line was the way to go. Would you be able to show me some pictures of this new rig you are talking about? Also, What are you using for bait? I use sweet corn cut off the cobb and soak it in almond extract. This seems to work pretty good. I usually outfish the other guys around me 5-1 doing this. I am using a Shimano Baitrunner with 8lb line and a flouro leader.
IF FISHING WAS WORK, I\\\'D NEVER BE SICK!!!!!!!!

stoph

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2010, 03:54 PM »
 I'll take some pic's and upload them so you can see. I use cattle corn (maize) as bait predominately but i also make simple boilies.

buzzbomb

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Pikeking, the sliding egg sinker is very common, and some guys even free-line baits with no weight at all if the current allows.  It's all a matter of what rig you use, what the conditions are in your water, and personal preference.  I used to use the minimum weight necessary to hold my bait in the current but over the last 3 or 4 years moved away from that and now chuck out 3oz and bait almost always.
If you say the word "gullible" really slow, it sounds like "oranges".

SWAMPGOOSE

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2011, 01:45 PM »
I use a good amount of weight and tiny treble so the weight almost sets the hook
cream ale is good, rolling rock is great, but land shark is king

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.