FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp fishing with a float?  (Read 14997 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Carp fishing with a float?
« on: Apr 13, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Hi all,

How many of you have tried carp fishing with a float rig?

Is it as an effective method as the bottom fishing rigs?

Do you use a lead jig or just a plain hook and split shot?

Have you ever tried a hair rig under the float?

Would a fixed float act as a bolt rig?

Do you position your bait or lure near the bottom, middle or just under the float or does it matter to carp? ???

Just though about trying a new method for them and wanted some input on the subject. ;)

WW

hammercarp

• Fish and have Fun
Re: Carp fishing with a float?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Hi all,

How many of you have tried carp fishing with a float rig?

Is it as an effective method as the bottom fishing rigs?

Do you use a lead jig or just a plain hook and split shot?

Have you ever tried a hair rig under the float?

Would a fixed float act as a bolt rig?

Do you position your bait or lure near the bottom, middle or just under the float or does it matter to carp? ???

Just though about trying a new method for them and wanted some input on the subject. ;)

WW

Hello WW
My answers to your questions.
Yes I have.
It can be more effective .
Plain hooks , I have never heard of anyone using a jig.
Yes I have fished a hair rig under a float.
I would say no, because the type of floats  that are used for carp are not extremely bouyant . They are meant to be very sensitive.

hammercarp

• Fish and have Fun
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Here is a picture of some carp floats. You will notice that some are weighted.

Carp floats will quite often have the size of weight ment to be used with them printed on the side of the float.

Here is one way to set up for carp.

When fishing this way you put your rod tip under the surface of the water. You want your line to sink. This will reduce the effect of the wind and  waves. A lot of times when the carp takes the bait your weight will be lifted off of the bottom. You will see your float rise up out of the water. Sometimes the float will go down like you are used to seeing.

Generally small size hooks are used, like a #6. Make sure you use good sharp hooks. Canned corn, boiled feed corn, bread and dough are all good baits for float fishing.

Very big carp can be taken with a float.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to help. If you get some carp on the float I would love to see a post with pictures. 

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I use floats for carp when fishing in areas where bullheads are a pain.  Usually use a small quill type float with just enough shot to balance it perfectly and set the length so that the offering is about 10-12 inches off the bottom.

As for rigs, I've found that for whatever reason with soft sweet corn (as opposed to boiled field corn or boilies) carp tend to get deep hooked with hair rigs (running and bolt rigs).   If I'm using canned sweet corn, i put the kernels right on the shaft of the hook.  I like hair rigs with everything else though.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2011, 03:34 PM »
Thanks for the info hammercarp & bigredfishing. :)

Those are neat looking floats, but unfortunately I only have a more typical
Lindy slip float that you would use for walleye, perch or trout.

Would one like that work on the carp?  :-\

WW

dmntd169

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Thanks for the info hammercarp & bigredfishing. :)

Those are neat looking floats, but unfortunately I only have a more typical
Lindy slip float that you would use for walleye, perch or trout.

Would one like that work on the carp?  :-\

WW

I've used them as well as just a plain old foam trout float with pretty good success. As to where to position you're bait under the float, it depends on where they are feeding. If they are primarily feeding on the bottom you'll want your bait there, if they are more towards the surface then you'll want it higher. I've had quite a few over the past 2 years actually come up and try to eat the foam float when they are feeding off the surface
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

stoph

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2011, 04:09 PM »
 The boys have given good info, i love to fish the lift up rig as hammercarp has shown.

A regular slip bobber will work fine for carp, any float can be rigged right to work.  I have used hair rigs with success under a float, but i prefer a regular size 8 or 6 mustad hook (i love the gold colour corn or roe bag hooks) with 2-3 kernals of canned corn directly on the hook.

Most of the time you want your bait to remain motionless on the bottom, so make sure you have a split shot or something (tungston putty rocks!) about 4-6" away from your bait holding on bottom. Have the float set as precise as you can so you can set the hook quick (and not loose a rod to a fatty!).
 If they are confidently feeding on the drop, use split shot getting smaller as you get to the hook, to slowly sink your bait past them.
 If they are on the surface google  'controller float rig'  awesome with bread or dry dog food!

Fluorocarbon is your friend and will sink nicely and be invisible (ish) to hogs.

Float fishing is one of the most deadly techniques for carp, a little patience will heap gold rewards!!   If you can see them, don't cast on their heads, but 6' in front of them, let them discover your bait on their own, chum little and often, especially in a river!

May you burn out the drag on your favorite reel!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.