FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Will be in Mass June 12 to the 18th!  (Read 3188 times)

scooper47

Re: Will be in Mass June 12 to the 18th!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2023, 06:28 AM »
What part of Indiana do you live in? Have you ever fished Yellowwood Lake in Brown County? 50 years ago that lake had the biggest bluegill I have ever seen. And tiny mouths. People used 15' cane poles to fish for them so that they could get the exact depth every time. I think I managed one.

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2023, 09:24 AM »
What part of Indiana do you live in? Have you ever fished Yellowwood Lake in Brown County? 50 years ago that lake had the biggest bluegill I have ever seen. And tiny mouths. People used 15' cane poles to fish for them so that they could get the exact depth every time. I think I managed one.

That's in Southern Indiana. I'm in northeastern Indiana. I doubt it's that good now as we have no bag limits on bluegills and bluegills are fished really hard here. Early in the history of reservoirs here, the bluegill fishing is phenomenal, and then it declines as the fish hogs descend on the lakes and keep hundreds. You can't fish out bluegills due to their fecundity, but you can reduce their overall size by heavy fishing pressure.

The long cane pole technique is old but extremely effective for drifting for suspended bluegills. Typically they set two of them, one on each side of the boat and drift.  The long poles keep your lines from going under the boat as you drift.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinator

« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2023, 11:19 AM »
That's in Southern Indiana. I'm in northeastern Indiana. I doubt it's that good now as we have no bag limits on bluegills and bluegills are fished really hard here. Early in the history of reservoirs here, the bluegill fishing is phenomenal, and then it declines as the fish hogs descend on the lakes and keep hundreds. You can't fish out bluegills due to their fecundity, but you can reduce their overall size by heavy fishing pressure.

The long cane pole technique is old but extremely effective for drifting for suspended bluegills. Typically they set two of them, one on each side of the boat and drift.  The long poles keep your lines from going under the boat as you drift.
you must not get around much, I know several lakes that get hammered and still produce gills up to 10", occasionally bigger. Same lakes consistently produce 10" ears with some up to 12" or bigger. Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but Indiana panfishing overall is pretty dam good.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2023, 11:36 AM »
you must not get around much, I know several lakes that get hammered and still produce gills up to 10", occasionally bigger. Same lakes consistently produce 10" ears with some up to 12" or bigger. Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but Indiana panfishing overall is pretty dam good.

Not interested in getting in a pissing match or listen to your bragging, but can assure you the quantity and size is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago when I fished about every natural lake in Northern Indiana, and took in about 100 fish a year as a taxidermist. Stopped seeing many 7 to 8 pound bass an about 20 years ago too. I also did some work for the INDNR on lakes.

And no I don't get around much anymore due to ailing parents.

I can still catch 10 inch plus bluegills on Clear Lake East of Fremont, but have to be off the lake by 9 A.M. or get run over by speed boats.

Out east where I go on vacation, and most of the locals shun bluegills, you can't imagine the size and quality in some of the lakes there. It's all about fishing pressure.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Early in the history of reservoirs here, the bluegill fishing is phenomenal, and then it declines as the fish hogs descend on the lakes and keep hundreds. You can't fish out bluegills due to their fecundity, but you can reduce their overall size by heavy fishing pressure.

Surprised there's not a bag limit on bluegill/panfish in your state given the apparent popularity.  Even NH adopted a 25 fish/person limit about 10-15 years ago after it was discovered people were filling 55 gal drums with crappie and bringing them back to VT/NY to sell on the black market.  Personally, I think 25 crappie or white perch (or bluegill, for that matter) is too many, should be 10-12 as I see it (just my $.02). 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2023, 03:18 PM »
Surprised there's not a bag limit on bluegill/panfish in your state given the apparent popularity.  Even NH adopted a 25 fish/person limit about 10-15 years ago after it was discovered people were filling 55 gal drums with crappie and bringing them back to VT/NY to sell on the black market.  Personally, I think 25 crappie or white perch (or bluegill, for that matter) is too many, should be 10-12 as I see it (just my $.02).

Agreed!

I think all the states around us have a bag limit except us. What's odd is I knew a couple of biologists and even a biologist in charge of the northern region of my state (now retired) that didn't have a problem with a bag limit, with the head guy pushing for one but couldn't get it approved. One of the biologists told me about a guy that called him up and wondered what happened to all the red-ears in a channel they fish every year. He said we caught 400 big ones last year where are they? The biologist replied, "You probably caught them all."

There was even a statement from the state recently to the effect that with modern electronics and modern fishing techniques it is agreed there is more pressure, but still no approval of a bag limit. It comes up every time we have public input for rule changes, and either gets knocked down or no reason is given.

Ryan51993

« Reply #21 on: Jun 09, 2023, 06:01 PM »
Agreed!

I think all the states around us have a bag limit except us. What's odd is I knew a couple of biologists and even a biologist in charge of thee northern region of my state (now retired) that didn't have a problem with a bag limit, with the head guy pushing for one but couldn't get it approved. One of the biologists told me about a guy that called him up and wondered what happened to all the red-ears in a channel they fish every year. He said we caught 400 big ones last year where are they? The biologist replied, "You probably caught them all."

There was even a statement from the state recently to the effect that with modern electronics and modern fishing techniques it is agreed there is more pressure, but still no approval of a bag limit. It comes up every time we have public input for rule changes, and either gets knocked down or no reason is given.
Agree with both of you guys. Unfortunately people just aren't capable of doing the right thing and keeping a realistic number of fish so laws become necessary. I watched a small pond in my home town get fished out in one ice fishing season after word got out on Facebook that it had early ice. The pond is only 11 acres and the same people went back to it day after day filling  buckets. Numbers and size dropped so dramatically that its not even worth fishing anymore. Anyone who has an issue with bag limits should take a look in the mirror if they want to know what the real problem is.

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Jun 11, 2023, 05:34 AM »

Ny and VT you can sell those species without a license.  Its not a black market it's perfectly legal (assuming you catch the fish in NY or VT).  Martin's General store buys a ton of perch from Champlain.  There are black markets for fish out there though.  Especially for saltwater fish.

Mass has no limit on panfish which I agree can be difficult on smaller water.  A similar thing happened in NY when some commercial guys drained a small pond of its panfish.

fishinator

« Reply #23 on: Jun 11, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Not interested in getting in a pissing match or listen to your bragging, but can assure you the quantity and size is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago when I fished about every natural lake in Northern Indiana, and took in about 100 fish a year as a taxidermist. Stopped seeing many 7 to 8 pound bass an about 20 years ago too. I also did some work for the INDNR on lakes.

And no I don't get around much anymore due to ailing parents.

I can still catch 10 inch plus bluegills on Clear Lake East of Fremont, but have to be off the lake by 9 A.M. or get run over by speed boats.

Out east where I go on vacation, and most of the locals shun bluegills, you can't imagine the size and quality in some of the lakes there. It's all about fishing pressure.
wow that's a little excessive but whatever bud. You aren't talking to a kid, I have been fishing for well over 40 years. I'm not bragging at all, just stating facts. I'm sure some bodies of water near you may be wiped out from over fishing but that isn't the case for all bodies of water in indiana.  I know this from actual fishing experience. 

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Jun 15, 2023, 05:45 AM »
wow that's a little excessive but whatever bud. You aren't talking to a kid, I have been fishing for well over 40 years. I'm not bragging at all, just stating facts. I'm sure some bodies of water near you may be wiped out from over fishing but that isn't the case for all bodies of water in indiana.  I know this from actual fishing experience.

Perhaps I did go overboard in my response. If so my apologies.  But when you say things like "You don't get out much do you?" expect someone to get defensive. And I'm a little sensitive about getting out due to my situation where I don't have much of a life anymore taking care of my elderly parents of which one has dementia and depression and has had a heart attack, brain bleed from a fall, and a stroke. And then there's her Parkinson's like symptoms. She can no longer walk and can't do her restroom duties by herself.

I'm on vacation thanks to the help of a couple of siblings, but there was still a bad event with my mother while I was gone. She was on the floor and my dad no longer has the strength to get her back up. My sister has a bad back but they somehow managed. 

Steve H.

« Reply #25 on: Jun 15, 2023, 06:42 AM »
Well I sure hope the fishing's been good and that you've otherwise enjoyed your stay so far.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Jun 15, 2023, 10:15 AM »
Well I sure hope the fishing's been good and that you've otherwise enjoyed your stay so far.

X2.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #27 on: Jun 15, 2023, 12:06 PM »
Perhaps I did go overboard in my response. If so my apologies.  But when you say things like "You don't get out much do you?" expect someone to get defensive. And I'm a little sensitive about getting out due to my situation where I don't have much of a life anymore taking care of my elderly parents of which one has dementia and depression and has had a heart attack, brain bleed from a fall, and a stroke. And then there's here Parkinson's like symptoms. She can no longer walk and can't do her restroom duties by herself.

I'm on vacation thanks to the help of a couple of siblings, but there was still a bad event with my mother while I was gone. She was on the floor and my dad no longer has the strength to get her back up. My sister has a bad back but they somehow managed.

I hope your vacation gives you some rest,peace and most of all good fishing.

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Jun 15, 2023, 05:09 PM »

Thanks. Had some fun with the flyrod and bluegills today on a local pond just getting away with the wife has been rejuvenating. It's supposed to rain all weekend and heavily so we may head home a little early.

The Airbnb farm we are staying on in Groton Mass has been really nice and the hosts are the greatest. Older and really laid back. Everyone we have run into has been very  warm and polite unlike the stereotype of New Englanders that are supposed to be cold and aloof which having lived here I've alway known is BS.

taxid

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.