FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: jon boat  (Read 4489 times)

docbas

jon boat
« on: Apr 14, 2004, 09:30 PM »
Hey all, has anybody seen the jon boat articled in Outdoor Life?  Is it worth trying to build, or am I just wasting money?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
docbas

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
Re: jon boat
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 05:04 PM »
I don't get Outdoor Life but I'd like to see that article. I can probably borrow a copy.

Can you tell us which issue it appears in?

docbas

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 10:53 PM »
I will look it up and let you know.  Was this year, but don't have it in front of me to let you know exactly which month.  I'm guessing March or April.

Esox

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 04:25 AM »
I saw it...Looks like a cool boat. They say the epoxy will last on the bottom, but I think I'll stick to my aluminum one for little ponds. It sure does look nice...but I'd hate to bang it up if I spent that much time on it.

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 05:45 AM »
Guys,

Is it basically plywood and epoxy or is there more to it than that? I'm curious because this seems like something I might like to do this summer.

fastribs85

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 09:04 AM »
i think ill have to stay with my aluminium beside i dont have the time to build the thing
naked women and beer we got it all in here

docbas

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 12:21 PM »
It looks like it is basically plywood and epoxy to me, just wanted some thoughts on if it was worth my time to build or not.

fastribs85

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 03:57 PM »
i havent seen it but if ya have the time and your good with your hands do it if not and ya want one you might be able to find one cheap somewhere if not you can always buy a nice size canoe from like dicks but if ya build it let us know how it came out and get us some pics

TJ

This artical
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 06:08 PM »

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 09:42 AM »
docbas, TJ and others,

Thanks for starting the jon boat thread here, for the article URL and all the feedback. You all got me thinking about building a boat.

After looking around I have decided to build this one: http://www.glen-l.com/designs/canu-row/mrjohn.html.

I can build it 13'7" x 4'4" and still keep it around 165 pounds. It can be rowed or powered by an outboard motor. Plan and patterns will set me back US $38.00 but that's not bad considering all the use I hope to get out of the boat.

fastribs85

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 04:35 PM »
well thats nice doesnt look to shabby let us know how you make out

wyogator

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 06:14 PM »
I saw the article in Outdoor Life a few months ago. I have been wanting to build it ever since. Trouble is, I don't have much spare time, although I will this summer but I plan to be fishing the whole time, I don't have alot of ca$h for the project and my canoe works great.

docbas

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 12:40 PM »
I've pretty much decided to build it, if I can afford to.  Have any of you built a boat, or have any idea how much some of the materials will run me?

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 05:27 PM »
Docbas,

If you take the list of materials from the link and go to Home Depot or any hardware store,  you can get a real good estimate of what it willl cost.

thedude

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 09:43 AM »
a lot of guys use the plywood/epoxy method for duck boats. I'm starting on one in a week or so. Some also use fiber-glass tape on the seams w/ the epoxy. I assure you duck hunters put their boats through some abuse, i dont think the wood vs. aluminum is an issue unless you planning on hitting things at high speeds frequently :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.