FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kept it Rolling in February.....March Already in the Books  (Read 2050 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
While the action was not as fast as January, I managed to come up with at least 1 trout or salmon on all 5 open water trips in February.

As is often the case, the best outings came during cold frontal passages.  I was fortunate to be on the water during one such weather change that lead to a mini-blitz of 6 salmon and brookies.  Multiple year classes of salmon were in the mix, and tube jigs with an erratic retrieve rang the dinner bells.

Most of the outings featured bright skies and low water conditions.  That made for a tough combination that had me changing lures, spots, or both to scratch up a few bites.  On some outings, more subtle lure colors (brown, pumpkinseed, clear, etc.) were the answer.

Other times, I was surprised to find fish going for faster retrieves with spoons and other larger hardware.  This salmon charged a spoon that I was ripping back at a pace I'd normally associate with fishing for blitzing bluefish.  An enigma to find fish so charged up in 32* water :o  I caught the smaller fish of the pair I raised.  The big male nosed the lure, got pricked slightly by the hook, and did not come back out to play.

Toward the end of the month, as interesting pattern emerged.  The fish were holding tight to wood cover.  I'm guessing that the wood and dark bottom heated up just a bit, activating salmonids and their prey.  Eddies where tributaries joined bigger rivers or lakes and concentrated debris were good. 

Just a little ice-free water was all that was needed.  I was also able to enjoy some winter sight fishing ;D   When I spotted this salmon holding in some brush, I was standing on a high bank about 10 feet above the water.  I dropped lure from above and the salmon nailed it.  While sliding down the bank to get in a position to land the fish, it gained just enough line to get wrapped up in the brush.  I figured I'd be lucky just to get my lure back, but somehow the fish stayed pinned 8)

The 1st of each month is like opening day for me, particularly during the winter as I try to extend my open water streak.  March 1st was a lockjaw kind of day, but the woody debris pattern held and the 1 bite I got was all I needed to add another month to the streak.

I may turn my attention to fishing more on late ice season hardwater, but I expect that the draw of each flow bump on the soft water may divert me ;D

stguy

Re: Kept it Rolling in February.....March Already in the Books
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2019, 06:35 PM »
I just got on here to ask how  February was for you....

I envy your tenacity...and look forward to your pics every month.

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Thanks, Glen.  I got into this kick in 2008 and got into it heavy starting in 2011.  It's been a fun ride.

I just got on here to ask how  February was for you....

I envy your tenacity...and look forward to your pics every month.

franklin fisher

« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:39 AM »
  Great job Jim. Love the updates each month.

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Awesome job Jim!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:07 AM »
wow! some of those salmon look decent size.  Sight fishing salmon from tall banks is my game!  I'm jealous!  8) I can tell you more than once while doing that I've had to do the good ol' "hook now, ask questions later" about how to land them  8) some of my favorite type of fishing.  Way to go Jim...  can't wait April myself, i've only been fishing twice this winter, only a 16" togue to show for it  :P

Bartman44

« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:37 AM »
Great catches and what fun it must be to get outdoors in the open water this time of year.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Great trouts...  Congratulations.... :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:55 PM »
I'm envious! Great job!!  :thumbup_smilie:
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fish wayniac

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2019, 06:01 PM »
Jim, Looks like another great month for you. Nice fish as usual .

Huemorin

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:29 AM »
These reports are the only reason I continue to check this board each month during the winter months.  I certainly envy your love for open water fishing and you continued streak is one to be admired and will be tough to beat if someone tries to tackle it.  I hope you can keep it up, it appears there are many of us that enjoy your reports.  Tight Lines

Jim C.

« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words.  I started this run after I ran into a guy whose open water success streak had just ended at 45 months.  I was inspired by him to see what I could do.  February and March had always been long shots for success, and continue to be that way.  But I've been managing to break through.  There have been several close calls where the streak nearly crashed and burned.  The most memorable was the last day in March 2015.  Conditions were brutal and fishless all that month and the finisher appeared to be no exception.  My first 2 spots were lifeless and I only had time for a half  hour or so before dark at a 3rd.  Cast after cast yielded nothing.  With 10 minutes or so to go, a fish swiped at my lure right at my feet.  I'm not sure if she bumped it or if my lure ticked a rock after the miss. My next cast was quick and true, and resulted in a hook-up that had my heart in my throat until my net was full of brownie. I saw a robin on the shore ice on the way out and knew that I could catch my breath in the easier fishing in the months ahead ;D

jacksmelt

« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2019, 08:33 AM »
great pics/ fish as usual Jim! if i lived closer to you, id tag along. bet id lose some weight then!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2019, 03:49 PM »
It would be fun, Steve.  Some days I pretty much burn my lungs out to get a bite ;D.

great pics/ fish as usual Jim! if i lived closer to you, id tag along. bet id lose some weight then!

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:28 PM »
I had to log in and say wow, never cease to amaze Jim C. Thank you for these posts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.