FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Red Cats!  (Read 3772 times)

SISIF

Red Cats!
« on: Apr 23, 2011, 05:23 PM »
If you live in the area, one thing you gotta try is fishing for Channel Catfish in Lockport. But if you're in the area and into fishing, I'm sure you already have.  ;D

I especially like spending the night kicking back in a chair with a propane lantern going, and a line in the water. If you can't see your rod while it's in the holder, just get some bells or a light to put on the end.

In the Red River raw shrimp always works very well, but cut Gold-eye is the best if you can catch some. A lot of people use chicken liver or hearts as well, and I've caught many on night crawlers.

All I use is a 2oz or heavier weight (For the strong current) and a strong hook right from it. So far I've just used my 7' Ugly stick, but I'm super tempted to buy that 12' Ugly stick!  :w00t:

I like to use braided line for everything. I can't stand the stretch of 30lb mono on a big cat rod, you can't feel a thing, and if you need to break a snagged line, you'll be going for a 5 minute walk with it before it snaps.  :P

I like to use heavy braids for this kind of fishing. Even if just for the abrasion resistance, why not use 80lb, even if you'll treat it like 50lb? Even on my 7' ugly I've been using 80lb Powerpro for cats. I use a bit of a larger reel and set the drag accordingly. This way, even getting tangled in other lines, bushes- you name it, I can usually pull until that stuff breaks and I can keep bringing the fish in.

Some people think I'm mad for using such heavy line, but my attitude is that if a fish is going to break my rod or wear out my drag, then it's a fish I sure don't want to lose by my line breaking!

Oh yea, just a tip: If you know your bait is going to get carried downstream, then just cast downstream in the first place. Let it sit with tension on the line and just leave it. The less it travels along the bottom, the less chance there is it'll get snagged.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.